Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Difference between Track saws and Circular Saws??

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    ...I don't know what exactly it is that rubs people so far the wrong way about track saws?...
    Ignorance of the tool, its true value and its abilities.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Ignorance of the tool, its true value and its abilities.

Maybe some are not fans of the tools for other reasons like the expense or proprietary nature of some of them. Or maybe, the fact that some people deify the tool, many without having done the same job using another method. (that tends to rub some people the wrong way)
    If it's what you like using, no one wants to stop you. The tool is simply not to everyone's needs or taste.
    Personally, I don't own one but if I needed one for a job where it was the best tool for the job, I would go out and buy one without reservation.

Blog Entries
    Much contention over nothing. Buy one and use it if you want it, don’t if not. It’s a nice tool to have for me, I bought one after seeing a local shop use it a long time ago. I use it occasionally for ripping down stuff too large to manage.

Nice to have a circular saw with a short track or without a track for crosscutting long oversized pieces.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Much contention over nothing. Buy one and use it if you want it, don’t if not.
    +1

I bought a Makita this year to break down sheet goods in my small shop. I wanted to add good dust collection to that process, and to save myself a "cleanup cut" at the table saw. The tool delivers on that so I'm satisfied with it. My DeWalt circular saw with a plywood blade, cutting against a straight 8' board, worked for years but I wanted the upgrade.

The Makita track saw has a scoring function that justifys owning it for me. Just push a little button and depth of cut is 1 mil. Run the scoring cut, pop the button out and make the full cut. Cutting birch plywood today, not breaking down, finished pieces. My tablesaw doesn't have a scoring blade.

Working in an old house with none standard doors, had to cut off bottom and top of each door - Makita with scoring made me smile.

My Festool doesn't need a scoring cut--splinter-free cuts on both sides.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I can’t wait until SawStop makes a track saw. Just THINK of the posts that will generate!
    Life is too short for dull sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wilson View Post
    I can’t wait until SawStop makes a track saw. Just THINK of the posts that will generate!
    Sawstop is owned by festool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Sawstop is owned by festool.
    Sawstop is owned by the same company that owns Festool, Tanos and Shaper Origin and a couple of others.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...