Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Embarrassing circuit breaker/generator question

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I know I can get a smaller generator but the difference isn’t that much.
    I can believe the price difference isn't that much, but size/weight may matter when you need to move it for use.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Speaking of generators, I have a question-

I'm considering picking up 2 HF 9500 watt Predator generators, which will supply 15,200 running watts when parallel-connected. ($4000 total for both generators is a good price IMO, I have a 3500 version and it works great!)

My question is, can the 120v output of each generator be connected to a breaker box's separate incoming legs so the 240 breakers would be usable? Or will the AC be out of phase, or?
    A problem I can think of when putting two generators in parallel is getting them "in-phase" and matching the voltage levels. My college studies focused on electronics but I had to take a few courses in power transmission. I remember there were some challenges in putting multiple generation stations "on-line".

Personally, I'd keep the two outlets separate and use them to power different things.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I know I would need less. I think I muddied the waters.

I want to know if a 120A double pole breaker is the equivalent of two single pole 120A breakers or two 60A single pole breakers.

This question is hypothetical only. I don’t have tied single pole breakers.

(the dryer is running now and I’m still under 1KW)
    Hi, if you’re under 1Kw with the dryer running and it’s an electric dryer, there’s something wrong with your instrumentation

A dryer is about 5Kw.

If you want a transfer switch you move all the circuits you want to supply from the generator to a generator panel and size your generator to suit.

If you do that you need a generator with an Isolated Neutral (floating neutral) to feed the transfer switch. Such generators can’t be used as a standalone set as the neutral is floating.

If you want to use a portable generator with an extension cord to run a load you needed a bonded or grounded neutral generator and the generator frame needs to be connected to a good ground

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Speaking of generators, I have a question-

I'm considering picking up 2 HF 9500 watt Predator generators, which will supply 15,200 running watts when parallel-connected. ($4000 total for both generators is a good price IMO, I have a 3500 version and it works great!)

My question is, can the 120v output of each generator be connected to a breaker box's separate incoming legs so the 240 breakers would be usable? Or will the AC be out of phase, or?

Yes, the voltage will vary from zero to 240 volts as the generators drift in and out of phase.

The 120 volt loads would be fine…Regards, Rod

Blog Entries
    Rod,
    my dryer is ventless. As I understand it, early in the cycle, it recirculates the air through a dehumifier. It uses a small heat pump for heat. It’s a mystery to me which is why I have a very long extended warranty.

BTWwe really like this dryer. It emits no humidity into the house. It does take about 100 minutes to dry a load, but they come out nice and dry. To be fair, we have a good washer with an awesome spin cycle so the dryer starts with a big advantage.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 07-06-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Yes, the voltage will vary from zero to 240 volts as the generators drift in and out of phase.

The 120 volt loads would be fine…Regards, Rod
    Rod, trying to understand this. Are you saying connecting two 120 volt generators in parallel will double the volts instead of increase the amps?
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    Rod, trying to understand this. Are you saying connecting two 120 volt generators in parallel will double the volts instead of increase the amps?

Sorry I was assuming that you wanted 240/120 volts.

If you parallel the 2;generators then you would double the current and power capability….Rod

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    I would suspect a 10,000 watt portable would handle both loads for most events. A transfer switch would work, but an interlock is cheaper and more versatile. Run the power to the kids' house.
    Charlie,
    Thanks for the hint about the interlock but it won’t work for me. My main panel has no main breaker. It’s a sub-panel supplied by a 125A breaker in the main panel in my daughters house.

I would size it for you both to run off it in a hot day. Install it at the main house. Cost is not going to be that different between sizing for just you and for both. If you have it power the main panel you would be wired in. If you wire it down by your house you would have to have the switch disconnect you from the main house for safety.

Plus as a bonus the noisy generator will be kids problem

I have a manual transfer switch and a portable 6.5 kw. I find that when the power goes out I wait 2 hours to make sure it doesnt come right back on. Then I have to brave the elements to get the generator outside, wired, and started. I would love a built in

Charlie,
    Thanks for the hint about the interlock but it won’t work for me. My main panel has no main breaker. It’s a sub-panel supplied by a 125A breaker in the main panel in my daughters house.
    Yes, that is why I suggested running it the genny to your daughter's house. With judicious use of circuit breakers you could easily run both buildings on the one 7000-10 000 watt genny. She runs her refrigerator on even hours, you on odd sort of thing. Just call her and sort out start-ups to manage that initial rush.

My son has a 3500 watt genny we hooked up, 120 volts. He loses power maybe 2-3 times every few years. Wet basement so the sump pump is critical.
    Three days with no power and didn't miss a beat. He has a "cool room" in the basement with a tiny window air conditioner, a low voltage auxiliary pump, all LED lighting, a single burner hot plate that only uses 250 (?) Watts on its low setting, gas heat and hot water. By flipping circuit breakers he has access to everything except his central air, clothes dryer, and stove.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Blog Entries
    Charlie,
    My daughters house is an 1860 can of worms. When we first moved here, we needed some plumbing work. I called a leading company and when they heard the address, they said they wouldn’t come. It seems that previous owner would call trades people out for an “estimate”, pump them for information and then go hire someone from the Home Depot parking lot. There’s a lot of plumbing and electrical in that house that just plain scary to me. My point here is that I’m hesitant to hook anything up to that house.

But we had our house built on the property about five years ago and I was very impressed with the workmanship. The main breaker box is a thing of beauty. The wires move vertically and horizontally with right angle bends. Hooking up to our house would be much easier.