Thread: Finally - work in the s'hanger

Finally - work in the s'hanger

This past Wednesday, with the help of John and David from Lexington Electrical in Columbia SC and my SIL, we pulled electrical drops for 1/2 the hanger (Daughter and SIL using the other half for storage until they are ready to build.

Attachment 460425Attachment 460426

And with that, Thursday was 'move-in' day. Actually, the equipment was all there, it was just time to move into positions I think will work.

Attachment 460427

Down the right (front to back) drill press, bandsaw, drum sander, planer. Down the center, slider and down draft table. Down the wall, antique, hot-rodded Rockwell lathe, the 26" lathe, grinding station, and the RAS. Still working on final locations for everything, planning DC piping (DC will be in a to-be-built closet in the far right corner) and trying to keep everything from being located directly under the skylights. Still need to locate the scroll saw and miter saw.

It was great being to be able to bump the machines since they haven't run since August of last year. Need to start turning! I've got pecan from a family who wants mementos from the tree their father/grandfather planted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

“Hanger” is a good description for that space.
    Moving equipment into place in a new shop must be exciting!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    “Hanger” is a good description for that space.
    Moving equipment into place in a new shop must be exciting!
    It actually was a hanger.

Unknown-2.jpeg

The pad extending from the door runs across the grass taxiway to the hanger on the other side. There are two planes in that hanger.

Sweet. You'll never have any problems moving machinery in.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's really going to be a great space for your shop! 'Glad you have been able to get started finally!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Eugene, in the second photo there's a quad outlet and a 220 outlet at each of several locations. Did you pull both #10 and #12 wires through the conduit and then just pass the #10 through the quad box to the single outlet? I ask because I'm planning a similar configuration in the little shop I'm building in the TX Hill Country, as my 'shop-away-from-shop'. Thanks
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Mooney View Post
    Eugene, in the second photo there's a quad outlet and a 220 outlet at each of several locations. Did you pull both #10 and #12 wires through the conduit and then just pass the #10 through the quad box to the single outlet? I ask because I'm planning a similar configuration in the little shop I'm building in the TX Hill Country, as my 'shop-away-from-shop'. Thanks
    You can do more than one circuit in a conduit and "pull through" like you describe. It's quite common. You just have to be within the fill specifications for code for the size conduit you use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Walter,
    Yes, #10 and #12 through the conduit. The #10's are all one circuit as are the #12's. I'm a one man shop so one tool at a time. The only exception is with the lathe vfd fan and the grinder(s). They will be running simultaneously occasionally. However, the lathe vid fan runs from the 220 line tool sharpening is on the 110 circuit. The 12" 220 grinder is rarely used for sharpening lathe tools.

FWIW, in the back corner there is another 220/110 combination that is destined for the ClearVue and it's control circuit.

The overhead feed down the center also has 220/110 in a common conduit, however, there are 2, 220 circuits. 9 wires in the 1" conduit for the homerun.

it was certainly good to have the experts from Lexington Electric help out. And there was the family discount!

Gene

Has that electrical work been inspected? Did it pass?
    Those hanging drops would never pass without Kellems Grips (Chinese finger trap style cable grips) or similar. I doubt grouping the circuits in such small conduit would pass an inspection either. They sure wouldn't here.

I am in awe of your shop space though. I hope it all works out for you.

Charley

All the drops have strain relief.

And, FWIW, I'm thankful to be out of NC. I was tired of ENC hurricanes.
    Last edited by Eugene Dixon; 07-10-2021 at 11:31 AM.

I can see that they have the standard strain reliefs, but hanging cords get tugged all too often and require a different type of strain relief. What you have will not be sufficient and will not pass an electrical inspection. I am a licensed contractor and learned this the hard way 50 years ago when I failed an inspection and had to go back and replace both ends of every drop.

https://www.hubbell.com/wiringdevice...rips/c/2198698

On the conduit size requirement, there are tables in the code books to show the area of fill for each size conduit, and the wire sizes allowed. DC and low voltage must be in separate conduits too, although I can't see if this applies from your comments and pictures.

Don't shoot the messenger (me). I'm just trying to help you meet your inevitable inspection, be it County, State, or Insurance inspector, and be safe.

Charley