Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Layout out a Radius

What am I missing? Cut your template longer than the finished piece. Cut a whole Semi circle if you wish. Cut your blanks over sized, Bend them in the form and then trim them to size after they come out.

Just that I can't figure out how to layout the semi circle.

Cord 21-3/4"
    Radius 23"

That's all I got.

I know how to cut long.

I know how to cut oversizeed.

Drawing the template is what I'm not getting. I'm sure it simple but when I try to match what's described, it get something very different then what the full size drawing shows.

Patrick

Forget the chord. The template will work regardless of whether it's just as long as the chord or longer.

Measure 22" on a string and tie it to a nail in your bench. Tie a pencil to the other side. Or make a trammel out of a piece of wood. Screw one end into the bench not too tight, and make a hole for the pencil 22" away.

Put your template blank under the pencil and scribe out an arc.

Use a ruler to measure the cord after the arc is scribed if you wish. But as long as you're longer it doesn't matter. The picture with the A and B marks you posted a couple times is definitely not a circle with a 23" radius. The pencil in the picture makes me think that radius is only about 6-7"
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 07-03-2021 at 7:29 PM.

You have an actual (half) size drawing. Draw a chord on it, measure the rise and and chord length, use the mensuration formulae for circle to calculate the radius. It should be close enough that it provide a clue as to the radius you want.

Ben, Kevin and Prashum,

It was where to start the mark for the radius. Following ya'll's similar solution, I made this and it comes pretty close to almost exactly what the full size drawing represents.
    20210703_163008 (Large).jpg

Prashum, forget that 'scaled' drawing, dimensions were a guess, I used it as an example of A and B.

The line just inside the outer arch is the 22" radius (right side only). The outer is the 23" radius.

Pretty damn close.

Thanks all - so simple once you hear, see, read about it.

Time to fire up the steam bender!

Patrick
    Last edited by Patrick F Graham; 07-04-2021 at 1:21 PM. Reason: spelling

For sure, that's one way but I was trying to have the most clean start rather then a copy of a copy of a copy.

To your second point, yes, 'close enough' is a problem I have - I'm working on it.....

Thanks Ralph.

Patrick

Be sure to make the form and the blanks longer than the finished part dimension.

I have a hard time reconciling the photographed chair with the plans you are building from. The height of a 23" radius arc 21.75" long is 2.73", and the slats in the photo don't match that to my eye- must be the camera angle. I would do a mockup to be sure. I must say that doesn't look like a particularly comfortable chair, but what do I know. Have fun.

You know it - I'm adding 2" to each end.

It's a crazy comfortable chair, trust me, I wouldn't make it otherwise.

And yes, I'm a mockup maven!

Gimmie some of the Doug-Fir, I can build anything!!!!

Thanks - Patrick