Thread: Suggestions for a Oscillating belt/ spindle sander.

Suggestions for a Oscillating belt/ spindle sander.

Can't seem to decide which one to get. Want to replace an old Sears spindle sander , that I can't get parts for anymore. Then, I noticed the oscillating belt spindle sander with some sort of tilting bed. Looks like they are a few different brands on the market.

Any thoughts on which is the best for a Basement workshop ?

I've had the rigid for several years and like it a lot. Dust collection isn't perfect, but I doubt any are much different. In past threads, a number of other creekers have given thumbs up to the rigid as well. I don't think it would hold up to all day professional use, but it's met my need for intermittent use well.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I'm just a hobbyist, so keep that in mind. I had the Rigid for a while but didn't like having to change it between belt and spindle when needed. Yes, I'm that lazy. I ended up getting both a spindle and a belt/disc sander by Wen (research led me to believe most at this level are pretty much the same regardless of brand). I built a flip top cart, one mounted on either side. Both machines were only around $300 and they've proven to work very well for my needs. It's nice have my sanding cart that gets tucked away when not in use. Again, just a hobbyist opinion and I'm sure others will vary.
    A wannabe woodworker!

I will be one of the few people that didn't like the Ridgid. The coating on the table wore off with limited use and Aluminum below left marks on the wood. The belt never tracked very well. The spindles were not long enough. That stupid knob that held the belt or spindle always tightened itself to the point you needed a plyers to get it off.

+1 on the knob but there is a simple solution, I made a wrench to fit it from a plywood scrap, problem solved. For a hobby shop I think they are pretty good although I wish they had variable speed.

The Triton seems to be worth considering.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Don't remember the details; but, my Ridgid broke. Whatever broke couldn't be repaired or replaced economically and it shouldn't have broken to begin with. I wasn't doing anything strange when it happened. What I remember clearly is that I'll never buy any Ridgid tool again.

I have had a the Rigid for about 14 years with no issues. Maybe I don’t use it as often as others here. To me, it seems like I push it pretty hard when I use it.

Same here. No problems with my Rigid at all.

Plus- I think I remember it came with a lifetime warranty. No?

I've had the Triton for 3 years with no complaints at all, but I'm not a heavy user. It gets mostly used as a spindle sander since I have several other belt sanders. It replaced a Ryobi that had hiccups (didn't track up and down smoothly). Ryobi sent me an upgrade kit, but that didn't help. My son-in-law didn't have a spindle sander, so the Ryobi was better than nothing for him.

Charley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stelts View Post
    Don't remember the details; but, my Ridgid broke. Whatever broke couldn't be repaired or replaced economically and it shouldn't have broken to begin with. I wasn't doing anything strange when it happened. What I remember clearly is that I'll never buy any Ridgid tool again.

The Ridgid comes with a Lifetime Service Agreement if you properly register the tool. If they can't fix it, they replace it. Mine developed a vibration admittedly due to possibly overworking the machine. They kept the housing and swapped me in all new guts. The machine is still in use. At only 40 pounds and with built in lifting grips it is easy to set it on a shelf between uses. I use mine enough that it sets on a flip top.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I recently finished a set of 10 dining room chairs. I decided I "needed" an oscillating belt sander to help with the curved top rail and the legs. I could not find a Rigid so I bought a Wen. I thought it would be underpowered since it only draws 3.5 amps. But it did fine. Very glad I got it. I've since used it in the spindle sanding mode once and that worked fine too. There is lots of plastic in the construction but it works. I agree with the comment somebody made about dust collection, it certainly doesn't get all of it. But it has a dust port and some of the dust seems to go down it.