Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What machines does Harvey build that are relabeled?

Eric, to help enter the US market they acquired Bridge City Toolworks, which is an extremely premium brand. If I remember correctly there was some language about keeping with the standards of BCT. I know several people who bought the miter gauge and rave about it, many replacing Incra. If I was in the market I wouldn’t hesitate to give them a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    So far I haven't found any bad experiences with Harvey. I looked up Julie's saw review which is encouraging. Derek it's good to hear it is well respected down under. I've made a decision matrix of the bandsaws that I could potentially purchase and it is one of the top ones. I may end up buying a Harvey.
    There are a lot of unknowns such as if there is an issue and if any spare parts are needed. I have to give Grizzly credit on their spare parts. They support there equipment for a very long time. I suspect Harvey may not have the infrastructure to support such things for the machines available in the US.
    I have had a couple occasions where I needed to contact Harvey about some issues. Both times the response was immediate and they quickly shipped out new parts. But I have found it's best to contact them through their website. Calling them sometimes results in no answer or no response. Emailing them gets no response at all. Though the latter may be due to spam software.

One thing that does bother me is the cast iron used for the cabinet saw top seems a little soft. It scratches very easily compared to the old Delta contractors saw. Maybe this is common. I don't have much to compare it to.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    At this time, their Gyro Air dust collector is the one I am aiming to purchase in a couple of years (when I retire and build a new workshop).
    Something to consider, Derek - While routing some stringy wood, I found the guard on the Gyro Air was getting clogged. The guard is there to protect the impeller, which is before the cyclone. My old DC had the cyclone before the impeller so no guard was necessary. The Gyro Air is somewhat quieter and much more powerful than my old DC but I wish they had put the impeller after the cyclone.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Keep in mind that if Harvey sells a single part, they become an OEM supplier. There’s no telling what parts or sub assemblies they provide to the different brands. Doesn’t necessarily have to be the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Keep in mind that if Harvey sells a single part, they become an OEM supplier. There’s no telling what parts or sub assemblies they provide to the different brands. Doesn’t necessarily have to be the finished product.
    bingo and excellent observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    In the electronics industry, where I worked, a supplier was not considered an OEM supplier unless they supplied the final product, even if it was built to the buyer's specifications. If they supplied pieces of the product, they were a parts supplier.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

When I worked at Woodcraft some years ago I received confirmation that Harvey makes the 14” SUV bandsaw for Laguna. If you look at Harvey’s C14 and compare parts lists minus the difference in guides, it doesn’t take much common sense to figure it out. Next, the no longer made Grizzly G0690/G0691, and equivalent ShopFox saws were Harvey saws. Also, can’t confirm but pretty confident there are other table saws made by both Laguna and Grizzly that may be Harvey. Prior to Harvey acquiring Bridge City tool works and selling their versions of machines, you were able
    to look at the machines on Harvey’s website and see the 14SUV with ceramic guides sold to other countries besides US as well as see identical versions of table saws. I was also told that Harvey makes the wood lathes for Laguna. Harvey is a very reputable brand and builds great products - prior to buying a Sawstop I had their ShopFox version of their 3hp cabinet saw and it’s was the best built sub $2000 saw out there.