Thread: Building a Bee Vacuum

Building a Bee Vacuum

I built my first bee vacuum several years ago. In using it, I found a number of way to improve it. I'm now on Version 3.

If you'd like to see how I built it, I did a tutorial which you can see here.

And if you're wondering what a "bee vacuum" is and how it's used, I did a video explaining it, which you can see here.

Mike

BeeVacuum-102.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-01-2021 at 3:09 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hope version three is the "bee's knees"! LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice! I didn't have time to finish watching the video yet but I will later.

I liked your comments about using it to get swarms on brush and limbs too. But over the years I've only seen a few swarms from my hives that could be reached from the ground - usually they are high in a tree! I've used the scooping method from the ground and from a cavity reached by cutting into a huge fallen Sassafras tree. It took a LONG time of scooping and watching before I caught the queen! A bee vacuum would have been perfect.

bee_tree.jpg

I love your tip about putting a queen excluder in the bottom of the deep when installing a swarm!

There may be some bee people interested in the way I catch swarms hanging on a branch, sometimes high in a tree. I attached a woven bag to a ring cut from the top of a plastic 5-gallon bucket. I fastened a threaded handle from a paint roller to the ring so I can use it on an extension pole. I have poles that reach almost 24'. I put the open bag up over the swarm and bump the limb hard which dislodges the cluster. A twist of the pole folds the bag and traps the bees.

swarm_catcher1_IMG_20170408_191239_373.jpg swarm_catcher3_IMG_20170408_191054_861.jpg swarm_catcher_3b_IMG_20170408_191054_861.jpg

Let us know if you decide to go into production making bee vacuums! I'd love to have one on hand. (I already have that same cordless vacuum. )
    One thing about AC power - we use jump starters made for cars that also have a built-in inverter for 110v. A friend uses one to operate her shears when shearing llamas in places far from power. One charge will power her shears for hours. One of those tiny 1-gal "shop" vacs might be good for bees.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I liked your comments about using it to get swarms on brush and limbs too. But over the years I've only seen a few swarms from my hives that could be reached from the ground - usually they are high in a tree!
    Interestingly, the last four or five swarms that Professor Dr. SWMBO had were all reachable from the ground...all but one in a bush in front of the stacks and one in a "baby" tree a few dozen feet away. (She has decided not to continue with beekeeping here at our new property...it's too small and will be a neighbor issue in the making. We're keeping a small amount of gear stored in case she wants to restart and selling off the rest. We thought that all the remaining colonies were dead-outs, but discovered one has bees last week when we were doing inventory)
    --

@John Jordan. I didn't want to quote all of your post but I'll answer a few points here.

The bee vacuum has more use for cutouts than for swarms, although I've used it for swarms. On a cutout it's hard to move some of the bees over, even if you get the queen, because of the presence of brood. The bees fly back to the brood. With the bee vacuum you capture the bees (into the vac) and they can't go back. I cut out the comb and vacuum the nurse bees off the comb (into the bee vacuum) and then put the comb in a container with a top. That comb is later put into a frame which will be put into the new hive.

I agree that most swarms can just be scooped into a box. If you get the queen the rest of the bees will usually follow. The advantage of using the bee vacuum for a swarm is in the transfer into the new hive.

Also, look further into the video and I have a section where I show hooking up a piece of PCV pipe to the hose to capture swarms high in a tree. With an 8 foot ladder, I can safely reach swarms about 15 feet up (and maybe a little more). Higher than that, I leave them. There are lots of swarms and I won't risk a fall for a bunch of bees - I'm not so young any more.

I included a pointer to my tutorial on how to build the bee vacuum. If you don't want to do it yourself, PM me and we can talk. One problem is shipping - the bee vacuum is fairly large.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-02-2021 at 3:21 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks, I'm aware of their use in cutouts/removal. I've been asked to remove bees from inside soffit or walls a couple of times and I'm not the least interested! Well, I might do it for family or friends.
    The big sassafras tree colony was in the yard of a neighbor's sister and he asked me nicely. 'Bout wore me out - 7 trips and 9 hours of effort, much in 90+ temps in a bee suit!

I've gotten swarms from pretty high up when I was younger and willing to take the risk. I would sometimes drive my truck under the tree and stand in the bed with the pole but once I put a couple of aluminum benches on the roof of the truck and stood on those. I don't think I'd do that any more! At one time I was trying to build up as many hives and as much honey as possible but anymore I'm happy with just a few hives for the pollination and enough honey for us and a few friends. I don't think there are any other honeybees near us - when I didn't have hives I NEVER saw honeybees in the garden and the clover.

The PVC pipe seems like a good idea. I'll look at the rest of your videos and info in a few weeks when I wrap up this time-crunch project. Thanks for sharing the videos and such.

JKJ

… I'm happy with just a few hives for the pollination and enough honey for us and a few friends. I don't think there are any other honeybees near us - when I didn't have hives I NEVER saw honeybees in the garden and the clover.

JKJ
    We loved your honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    We loved your honey.
    Thomas, you cannot beat fresh, local honey...it's the best. And good for you, too. I'm going to miss harvesting our own because our new property isn't really a good place to keep bees, but fortunately, we know a bunch of other local beeks.
    --

We loved your honey.
    I'll try to bring you some more. Just gotta find time to get away for a few hours...

I'll try to bring you some more. Just gotta find time to get away for a few hours...
    Let’s do that. I need a person in the shop to discuss duct work. I am at a mental impasse.

Let’s do that. I need a person in the shop to discuss duct work. I am at a mental impasse.
    I'm not sure you want me. I used white 6" dia PVC. Your shop needs gold plated ducts.

I'm not sure you want me. I used white 6" dia PVC. Your shop needs gold plated ducts.
    I’ve been investigating solid gold but may have to drop back to gold plate. The only requirement for helping is to have a functional head. You are well qualified.