Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgraded planer recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    I also own the G0453 (G0453z) with spiral cutter head. Grizzly is still shipping these machines with the serrated-steel outfeed roller, although this marking problem was brought to their attention several years ago. They do currently offer a replacement rubber outfeed roller for around $100, and advertise this as "Eliminates marks serrated-steel outfeed rollers can leave in the wood when taking a very fine or finishing pass." I'm really not sure why Grizzly doesn't simply offer this as stock equipment on their planer.

David
    Hard to believe it still has that lame outfeed roller. And you get to pay another $100 to fix their design flaw? You know what else that outfeed roller is really good at? Grabbing a wood chip and mashing it down into the board now you have to pry out the wood chip and there's a big dent. Oh now the nightmare is coming back to me. lol

I'm reading that Felder terms it as " Sectional pressure bar (optional)", so likely would be stated on invoice as such

Basically, instead of a single bar spanning full width as a chipbreaker, it is broken down into segments ~ 1" wide with individual springs. Idea is, if you send boards through with varying thicknesses, a thinner one or two may be fluttering loosely between two taller ones, creating chatter marks. EG: I like to gang-plane 1-3" FF/door stock stacked on jointed edges with opposite edge up for surfacing/cleaning up that last edge once the first 3 are surfaced and true. Usually 4-6 pieces at a time. With a segmented chipbreaker, you are supposed to get a finer surface, as the individual segments control the stock better.

Just found this illustration at a Felder dealer site:

A lot of my direction for contenders is based on this feature, as the hope is it will help produce better results than old machine, regardless what brand. Perhaps some of these upper-tier
    machines simply handle stock better by design, but the fact that it is offered as an option on the D951 tells me it must make a significant difference. I'll be asking rep to quote this option - just curious if you do similar processes and if you're getting a nice finish either way.
    Last edited by Jeff Roltgen; 07-05-2021 at 12:12 PM.

Personally I don't use that work flow, and don't believe my D951 has one. That being said, I certainly haven't missed it. Sounds like it might be a worthwhile option for you, though.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Why do you prefer a Tersa head?

Andrew - had the same question- here's an article by Sam Blasco describing his experience with them and why it's all he want's to use. Seems so odd, as we all are programmed to ask for spirals/helicals in this day and age. Would love to see this system at work in person - just highly skeptical about longevity and wear, but they seem reasonable on price for 2 sided replacements, other than carbide - over half a grand for a set of 3 of those. Seems individual chips would be less trouble for the occasional knicks/dings, but it sure looks interesting:

https://www.elitemetaltools.com/arti...expert-opinion

And here's a video of the blade change process. Hard to believe, but there it is- slide knives in place, fire up machine, centrifugal force sets them in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ro0hEOtXdw
    Last edited by Jeff Roltgen; 07-06-2021 at 2:13 PM. Reason: added video

No dog in this fight but I have do lots of hours on Tersa machines. My experience: Tersa is capable of giving you the best FINISH quality of any cutterhead system out there but what I think most folks are looking for as far as as the overall ownership experience of a jointer or planer, is a spiral head. You can't go wrong with either. Just a matter of what your budget and expectations are.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep