Thread: Taking a router bit to the edge of curly maple.

Taking a router bit to the edge of curly maple.

For those who have done it. How has it worked out for you? And I am talking about serious curl in your board. I don't care to hear about routing maple with just a bit of curl in it.

It's fine if I climb cut using light passes with a handheld router. Otherwise, it's not pretty.

John

Straight bit, profile bit, how much material are you trying to remove at once?

Wet it down with water or alternatively mineral spirits or DNA. This reduces the tendency of producing chunks where the grain changes. Also, very light cuts and a slow feed rate.

I've never had a problem in 49 years. Don't make a full depth cut and if you are just doing an end grain cut, use a backer board for the break out side. With so little information about what you are doing, it's hard to give more advice. You could be just rounding the edge, or as far as doing a raised panel. Any more info?

2nd Richard's response, 1/2 inch rounder over bit (new sharp carbide) on extremely figured flame maple and no issues, including across a dovetailed joint. I do climb cut the corners.