Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SCM saw or Felder quivalent?

Albert, Good choice - betting it was gut feel to go with the SCM which is the way I would lean based on your comments, always disappointing when a vendor comes back with an “amazing” deal that doesn’t match up with your expectations or what you asked for in the first place and just throw you an oddball that is sitting around (or whatever) so they don’t lose a sale….
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 07-12-2021 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Albert, Good choice - betting it was gut feel to go with the SCM which is the way I would lean based on your comments, always disappointing when a vendor comes back with an “amazing” deal that doesn’t match up with your expectations or what you asked for in the first place and just throw you an oddball that is sitting around (or whatever) so they don’t lose a sale….
    Thanks Mark... we as customer will never know the truth...

My saw purchase went up from 20k to 30k and now I am spending close to 45k USD... I just dont want to repeat that mistake again - you buy something thats expensive and well made, soon after you got it you wish you have bought something even better because its worth it.

Blog Entries
    That’s the natural state of things, I think. Right after I purchase my jointer/planer a Hofmann 24” jointer/planer came up for a few thousand more dollars (used). My machine is fine, but..... my only solace is that I really don’t have the shop space for the bigger machine.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    That’s the natural state of things, I think. Right after I purchase my jointer/planer a Hofmann 24” jointer/planer came up for a few thousand more dollars (used). My machine is fine, but..... my only solace is that I really don’t have the shop space for the bigger machine.
    I guess you can't get permission from the powers that be to use the living room as your shop extension?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    ...one interesting thing about the Kappa 590, the motor look more like a book. yes. a book, rather than a motor! sales said its a synchronous motor that puts less strain on the saw assembly which I agree....
    So, the K590 is unique in our lineup in that it uses a DC motor, like you'd see on a CNC router, rather than the typical induction motor. I've never heard any argument about it putting "less strain on the saw unit" (sounds made-up to me... I mean, you can engineer whatever is needed. It's not like this machine is light). The real benefit is the stepless RPM control and, of course, smaller housing size.

Here is the thing with a K590E: It's a Formula-1 car. Software-heavy, needs a large blade to run right, and requires regular maintenance to keep the 90-degree set point in calibration (not a Felder-thing, a "two-way tilt" thing). Saws like it are really for shops who are doing huge architectural timbers, want to make compound cuts without flipping the workpiece, etc. If someone is doing mostly sheet goods and only the occasional solid stock, there are actually better choices that are simpler to own and maintain. Just my 2-cents.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I guess you can't get permission from the powers that be to use the living room as your shop extension?
    I did once use the living room as storage, didnt have to obtain any permission.... the beauty of being a bachelor!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    So, the K590 is unique in our lineup in that it uses a DC motor, like you'd see on a CNC router, rather than the typical induction motor. I've never heard any argument about it putting "less strain on the saw unit" (sounds made-up to me... I mean, you can engineer whatever is needed. It's not like this machine is light). The real benefit is the stepless RPM control and, of course, smaller housing size.

Here is the thing with a K590E: It's a Formula-1 car. Software-heavy, needs a large blade to run right, and requires regular maintenance to keep the 90-degree set point in calibration (not a Felder-thing, a "two-way tilt" thing). Saws like it are really for shops who are doing huge architectural timbers, want to make compound cuts without flipping the workpiece, etc. If someone is doing mostly sheet goods and only the occasional solid stock, there are actually better choices that are simpler to own and maintain. Just my 2-cents.

Erik
    Thanks Erik! That confirms my line of thinking as well. the software on the K590 and the upgrade is beyond brilliant, the only limitation is probably the user's creativity.

The motor on the K590 is very interesting, it might start a trend?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Hofmann 24 JP combo…. sounds like stuff that only exist in fairyland… would love to buy one even used, but no support here, If service is required you need to pay the technician’s education to service it…

Blog Entries
    It was just before the electronics overload we see currently, so I think service would be manageable. Heck, I’ve broken down every machine in the shop so far to nuts and bolts, what’s one more.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I did once use the living room as storage, didnt have to obtain any permission.... the beauty of being a bachelor!
    You have to have an understanding of Brian's current shop arrangement...big tools in the tiny almost-one-car garage and the rest plus his bench, etc., in a beautiful basement space. I routinely joke with him about taking over more areas of the house, but that likely would result in him having to sleep on top of the J/P or his bench 'cause he's NOT a bachelor. . But seriously, he turns out AMAZING work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You have to have an understanding of Brian's current shop arrangement...big tools in the tiny almost-one-car garage and the rest plus his bench, etc., in a beautiful basement space. I routinely joke with him about taking over more areas of the house, but that likely would result in him having to sleep on top of the J/P or his bench 'cause he's NOT a bachelor. . But seriously, he turns out AMAZING work.
    wow my shop used to be an one car garage... I cant imagine working in one now....

I hope one day I can do some real wood work or some amazing work, so far its all for commercial gain to keep the $ flowing in and .. buying more tools in the name of being more efficient... (yeah right)

Hofmann 24 JP combo…. sounds like stuff that only exist in fairyland… would love to buy one even used, but no support here, If service is required you need to pay the technician’s education to service it…
    Hoffman's sole US dealer's warehouse is about 45 minutes from me in Hudson NY, their stuff is pretty drool-worthy in person but their prices are just eye-wateringly high.

I've heard good things about these guys too: https://www.machinesabois.biz

Lead time

Not sure if it makes any difference to you, but perhaps you should check lead time for each manufacturer. And if you need anything customized, it will likely take even longer than the current lengthy lead time. Ask me how I know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Hoffman's sole US dealer's warehouse is about 45 minutes from me in Hudson NY, their stuff is pretty drool-worthy in person but their prices are just eye-wateringly high.

I've heard good things about these guys too: https://www.machinesabois.biz
    the initial cost of the machine is high but when you spread that over the life of the machine then its quite ok - I cant remember how many times I bought machines with this justification lol

very nice machines there, love that chunkiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Otter View Post
    Not sure if it makes any difference to you, but perhaps you should check lead time for each manufacturer. And if you need anything customized, it will likely take even longer than the current lengthy lead time. Ask me how I know
    thanks for the reminder Ned! you must have been through some elongated waiting time! I too taken delivery of a spindle moulder recently, took them 10 months to deliver, I am not expecting the saw to be any sooner... in fact the longer the lead time the better as I need to come up with the $ and also give me time to think and plan my workshop, one rarely have time for these things.