Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SCM saw or Felder quivalent?

Blog Entries
    Is that 33k NZD?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    Is that 33k NZD?
    no... 48k NZD, 33k USD.

Congrats, Albert! No matter what you chose from all these fine machines, it would be a great upgrade. But wow...Holy Lead Time, Batman!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice choice, I would have original gone with SCM because I was more familiar their equipment but I went down the Felder rabbet hole…

btw, you can do +46 on the k940 it’s just a matter of moving the hard - stop probably same on the k700

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    Just an update.

Assuming both SCM and Felder are about the same for the money you pay.

I have decided to go with SCM Class si X. reason for choosing this saw: it can do +/- 46 deg. Felder's Kappa K590 can do this as well but I cant afford it.

SCM's si X range can all do +/- 46 deg. ranging from light class Minimax, Nova, Class, and then the L'Invincibile. I cant afford the L'Invincibile, its $60k+ saw. I paid 33k+ tax for my Class si X (options added)

Delivery date: Aug 2022. yes. Aug 2022.
    Attachment 460623

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Nice choice, I would have original gone with SCM because I was more familiar their equipment but I went down the Felder rabbet hole…

btw, you can do +46 on the k940 it’s just a matter of moving the hard - stop probably same on the k700
    Thanks Mark!

what I was referring to is that the saw blade can do +46 to -46 deg. So it can tilt 92 deg not just normal 45 deg

I think this is a very useful feature I am yet to put it into a product that requires it…

SCM told me I actually got a few days to decide if I want an L’Invincibile (can only do 45 deg) or the Class si X (can do 92deg) they are more or less the same price for the spec I want.

Thanks Mark!

what I was referring to is that the saw blade can do +46 to -46 deg. So it can tilt 92 deg not just normal 45 deg

I think this is a very useful feature I am yet to put it into a product that requires it…

SCM told me I actually got a few days to decide if I want an L’Invincibile (can only do 45 deg) or the Class si X (can do 92deg) they are more or less the same price for the spec I want.

yup, I just wanted to clarify that it is possible to go beyond the 45. Cool having the ability to left tilt in addition to the right. Curious what the lead time is.

yup, I just wanted to clarify that it is possible to go beyond the 45. Cool having the ability to left tilt in addition to the right. Curious what the lead time is.
    Currently the lead time is 12 months for us…

I got a few days to confirm if I want to go with +/-46 deg Class machine or the entry level L’Invincibile. They work out about the same price! I can’t think of anything substantial - maybe I used the traditional for too long and it’s limiting my creativity.

Well my Felder agent must have heard the news, they came to me and gave me a ridiculous price for a Kappa 590. automated and programmed tilt for the saw blade, but manual rip, 30k USD. should I take it?

Well that sounds like a good price. As far as the automated rip, I honestly found no value in having it being a low volume user but now I kinda wished I went for it for it, over the long term the cost isn’t that high (for me 25 yrs +) and adds a lot of utility. Now eventually the electronics will fail (like all electronics, yes they do have a life span…) but that could be 10,20yrs or never in your ownership and not sure what the cost is there to replace. I didn’t even realize that the 590 could be configured without the automated rip, I always feel a rep should try to upsell equipment - quotes are free, changing your mind after the fact is not as cheap…

Well my Felder agent must have heard the news, they came to me and gave me a ridiculous price for a Kappa 590. automated and programmed tilt for the saw blade, but manual rip, 30k USD. should I take it?

Will you be happy with the machine at that price and is the availability any better or the same? A "saw in hand" counts, too.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Will you be happy with the machine at that price and is the availability any better or the same? A "saw in hand" counts, too.
    I visited Felder yesterday to have a proper look. the Kappa 590 has very nice software, easy to use.
    You know the support you will be getting will be great (I have a Felder AD951)

However, there are a few minor details that I am not particularly happy about, I wont delve into great detail. I will use the following photos as an example, this is my Griggio Unica 350/400 mitre fence extension, the extension is a thick aluminium extrusion that measures 60 x 45mm (2 3/8 x 1 3/4)). I believe this is a basic model from Griggio in 2013, probably costed $15k USD back then.

You would think the mitre fence extension on the top of the line Felder panel saw that cost $60k NZD should have something substantial. but no. it was just a 25mm x 25mm (or 1 x 1, approximately) boxed section - sorry I didnt take a photo, it is very similar to what I had on my Robland NX410.

IMG_4837.jpgIMG_4834.jpgIMG_4835.jpgIMG_4836.jpg

If Felder had the Griggio style mitre fence extension Felder will rave about it, there will be a lot of photos online with well written description that makes you want to buy it, possibly even a Youtube clip from Felder dedicated to this mitre fence, and when you visit Felder you are told this is an option you have to fork out more $$$ I am not surprised Griggio has such a nice mitre fence, I think they use to make Martin's entry level saw before they went under.

obviously this is just one little detail and probably dont matter to a lot of woodworker, you probably dont need a large extension like this, Felder probably put more resource into its software/technology....etc anyhow no one is going to buy/not buy a panel saw because of this.

In comparison to my recent purchase of a SCM TI145 EP spindle moulder, the SCM surprised me with its quality of build, engineering style and attention to detail, unfortunately I cant say the same for its local service, the user manual feels like the guy went on lunch and skipped a few lines, and the amount of information you can find online - there is nothing apart from SCM brochure and some very old video clips. SCM needs to do a lot of work in this regard.

The Kappa 590 certainly is a great saw, has a lot of bells and whistles, but probably not something I am looking for…
    Last edited by Albert Lee; 07-09-2021 at 5:15 PM.

Hi Albert,
    pretty sure the dro fence on k940 is the same on the 590, (did it look like the below pic?) not sure if there is really anything to be concerned with the tube on the Felder fence is thick steel and rides on ball bearings, very smooth and the extrusion webbing is very thick. the Felder Fence is robust in my opinion with small flaw, the dro stops have these thin plastic strips to aid in the smooth movement on the extrusion, they are just stuck on and came loose and bunched up so I had to remove them - Felder was supposed to send me new ones but never did…

1625178D-E85C-44F1-83A6-171CEB9FAF11.jpg

I visited Felder yesterday to have a proper look. the Kappa 590 has very nice software, easy to use.
    You know the support you will be getting will be great (I have a Felder AD951)

However, there are a few minor details that I am not particularly happy about, I wont delve into great detail. I will use the following photos as an example, this is my Griggio Unica 350/400 mitre fence extension, the extension is a thick aluminium extrusion that measures 60 x 45mm (2 3/8 x 1 3/4)). I believe this is a basic model from Griggio in 2013, probably costed $15k USD back then.

You would think the mitre fence extension on the top of the line Felder panel saw that cost $60k NZD should have something substantial. but no. it was just a 25mm x 25mm (or 1 x 1, approximately) boxed section - sorry I didnt take a photo, it is very similar to what I had on my Robland NX410.

IMG_4837.jpgIMG_4834.jpgIMG_4835.jpgIMG_4836.jpg

If Felder had the Griggio style mitre fence extension Felder will rave about it, there will be a lot of photos online with well written description that makes you want to buy it, possibly even a Youtube clip from Felder dedicated to this mitre fence, and when you visit Felder you are told this is an option you have to fork out more $$$ I am not surprised Griggio has such a nice mitre fence, I think they use to make Martin's entry level saw before they went under.

obviously this is just one little detail and probably dont matter to a lot of woodworker, you probably dont need a large extension like this, Felder probably put more resource into its software/technology....etc anyhow no one is going to buy/not buy a panel saw because of this.

In comparison to my recent purchase of a SCM TI145 EP spindle moulder, the SCM surprised me in its quality, engineering and attention to detail, unfortunately I cant say the same for its local service, the manual and the amount of information you can find online - there is nothing apart from SCM brochure. SCM needs to do a lot of work in this regard.

The Kappa 590 certainly is a great saw, or maybe I am just biased.
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 07-09-2021 at 5:30 PM.

Hi Albert,
    pretty sure the dro fence on k940 is the same on the 590, (did it look like the below pic?) not sure if there is really anything to be concerned with the tube on the Felder fence is thick steel and rides on ball bearings, very smooth and the extrusion webbing is very thick. the Felder Fence is robust in my opinion with small flaw, the dro stops have these thin plastic strips to aid in the smooth movement on the extrusion, they are just stuck on and came loose and bunched up so I had to remove them - Felder was supposed to send me new ones but never did…

1625178D-E85C-44F1-83A6-171CEB9FAF11.jpg
    Hi Mark, for some reason I cant view the pics... I am pretty sure Felder machine are just fine, its just me being very cautious.

one interesting thing about the Kappa 590, the motor look more like a book. yes. a book, rather than a motor! sales said its a synchronous motor that puts less strain on the saw assembly which I agree.

Havnt made up my mind about what saw to get, Italian cars are notoriously bad with their electronics, I hope their woodworking equipment does not share the same heritage.

Albert, viewing photos, sending/receiving PMs and using the classifieds is a benefit of being a Contributor. Please click on the "Donate" button up at the top...it's a whole $6 US for a one year Contributor status and helps keep the lights on.

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Albert, viewing photos, sending/receiving PMs and using the classifieds is a benefit of being a Contributor. Please click on the "Donate" button up at the top...it's a whole $6 US for a one year Contributor status and helps keep the lights on.

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    Thanks Jim! no wonder I cant view the photos. will be doing this shortly.

By the way I've ordered a SCM L'Invincibile si X.