Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SCM saw or Felder quivalent?

SCM saw or Felder quivalent?

has anyone gone through this exercise recently?

I am wanting to upgrade my panel saw, looking at either SCM Class (really tempted to go L'Invincibile...) or Felder K940 range.

I have both SCM and Felder gear in my shop. happy with both, although SCM is a tad more $ than Felder for equivalent machine.

very limited information on Google, hence question here.

Both great products...price and...availability...is going to come into play as part of your decision.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a k940 and am very happy with it and am impossible to please, lol. I had the k700 and the k940 is a better build in my opinion, can’t help you on the scm, I had one but it was in the 90’s so I am out of the loop on the Scm’s. If you have any specific questions from an actual user I will try to answer.

I post quite a bit of k940 saw action on Instagram, if you want to check it out look here…. https://www.instagram.com/kessler_woodworks/?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    has anyone gone through this exercise recently?

I am wanting to upgrade my panel saw, looking at either SCM Class (really tempted to go L'Invincibile...) or Felder K940 range.

I have both SCM and Felder gear in my shop. happy with both, although SCM is a tad more $ than Felder for equivalent machine.

very limited information on Google, hence question here.

Thanks Erik!

my local Felder rep emphasised Felder's Easy Glide feature and how Felder improved over the last 20 years,
    I have a feeling that SCM probably has similar feature but just dont talk about it...

I know the saw will probably outlive me, but would like to get first hand info on the L'Invincibile if its available?

To be complete honest I am more inclined towards SCM, I know K940 will do me just fine as well... my shop is not a full time shop, its my side business.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-05-2021 at 7:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Both great products...price and...availability...is going to come into play as part of your decision.
    Thanks Jim! I know! both are good brands!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    I have a k940 and am very happy with it and am impossible to please, lol. I had the k700 and the k940 is a better build in my opinion, can’t help you on the scm, I had one but it was in the 90’s so I am out of the loop on the Scm’s. If you have any specific questions from an actual user I will try to answer.

I post quite a bit of k940 saw action on Instagram, if you want to check it out look here…. https://www.instagram.com/kessler_woodworks/?hl=en
    Thanks Mark, I will check it out your Instagram photos!

I almost bought the K940 with my AD951 a few years ago for some reason I dropped the K940 in the last minute. same saw is now 20% more $

I have seen K700 series in person. I know the build is not as heavy as the K900 series... still a great saw but you get what you pay.

L'invincible would be in the Format range, Class is close to 940, maybe a tad heavier but you would need to check that out. L'invincible and 940 are not comparable. Dave

Be prepared for some sticker shock on that L’Invincibile Albert. Might actually be more expensive than a similarly sized Martin.

Sounds like a good reason to go to AWFS in Las Vegas later this month. I've made all my recent major machine purchases there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Sounds like a good reason to go to AWFS in Las Vegas later this month. I've made all my recent major machine purchases there.
    Not possible from New Zealand at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Given the OP's location in the world, that would cost quite a bit for just travel...and it's a VERY long flight.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Given the OP's location in the world, that would cost quite a bit for just travel...and it's a VERY long flight.
    That's right.. Our government imposed a quarantine accommodation cost of $3500 USD if you decide to travel now... not sure if you exempted if you have taken the vaccine..

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Be prepared for some sticker shock on that L’Invincibile Albert. Might actually be more expensive than a similarly sized Martin.
    The base model L'Invincibile si 3 is 26,000 Euro... base model T60C is 20,000 Euro. I really like Martin but they are not available here.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    L'invincible would be in the Format range, Class is close to 940, maybe a tad heavier but you would need to check that out. L'invincible and 940 are not comparable. Dave
    Thanks Dave. my Felder rep wanted me to have a look at the Format4. I am not familiar with Format4 range/series, I might have a look.

The reason I really liked SCM is because my 30 yo wide belt sander broke down sometime ago and SCM still have parts for it. and they are well built.

Erik, I think its 50/50 solid/sheets. definitely not a fancy toy as I do need the income from the woodworks.

I was looking at Class 400, but realised its a manual saw, my current saw (Griggio Unica 400) has electric up and down, going to manual saw seems going backwards. I wanted to upgrade but downsize, the Griggio is 3800mm long (145 inches). its too big, I never cut anything this big, I wanted to go down to 2200mm/86 inch. I bought the Griggio at ridiculously low price and it was fairly new. thought I can compromise on its size but no. its way too big for my shop which is 30 x 20. I constantly have to walk around it. plus it doesnt have the dado preparation.

So here I am. wanting to upgrade but down size. the K940 X motions looks good though. but I pay a tad more I get the L'Invincibile...
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-05-2021 at 7:33 AM.