Thread: Has Anyone Made a Swivel/Rocker Outdoor Dining Chair?

Has Anyone Made a Swivel/Rocker Outdoor Dining Chair?

After seeing the prices for outdoor swivel/rocker chairs, I've decided to look into making them myself. My plan would be to purchase the swivel/rocker base and build chair frames from Ipe.

Has anyone ever done a job like this?

Hmmm... 77 looks and no replies. I guess I'd better think this one out well.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie, It’s something most of us have seen only in expensive metal pieces. Our next door neighbor was taking 4 of them to curb for trash
    pick up. Once I verified he didn’t want them ,he gave them to us. They are like new! So for the swivel part I would look for discarded chairs as they are still good when the upholstery is deemed ratty or even worse…covered in out-of- style colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Hmmm... 77 looks and no replies. I guess I'd better think this one out well.
    Let us know how they turn out.

Swivel rocker mechanisms seem readily available. For instance, Lee Valley sells one for $40. But if your outdoor chair is going to sit out in the rain, I'd be concerned about rust.

I have 4 very nice Teak outdoor swivel rockers. I have had them for 12 years with covers when not in use. They are like brand new. I would hate to put a $40 swivel part under a chair I made with Ipe. I guess if they failed, then buy more expensive ones later.

Julie, if you decide to get covers for these chairs I'd have a look at https://www.coversandall.com/ . They made covers for a couple of machines that I keep outdoors. They are very well made and made-to-measure. I have no affiliation with them except as a satisfied customer. -Howard

I've seen swivel/rocker bases that were pretty cheap but the ones that looked better built were in the $100-$140 range. If I do decide to take this on, the bases would have to stand up to salt air and all that brings. I have never seen things break down like they do here. Back north, this was unheard of.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain