Thread: dust filter conversion

dust filter conversion

Several years ago I upgraded from a 2hp to a 3hp Oneida cyclone system. The old setup had four 12" x 96"tube filters which were great but because I had built them into a 30" square bumpout closet there was insufficient room to use more similar tubes for the greater filter area required for the new system. I installed the 130 sq. ft. cartridge filter that came with the Super Dust Gorilla but hated the mess that resulted when the bin inevitably overfilled. Anybody who has had that experience knows what I am talking about.

I realized I could get the necessary filter area in my closet by using an array of smaller tubes, so I ordered fifteen 5" d. x 98" polyester sateen filters with snap rings from U.S. Air Filtration, cost about $300. They were very helpful and easy to work with. The new tubes have about 163 sq. ft. of surface area, 25% more than the cartridge.

I machined two 3/4" plywood decks with 5" holes on my cnc router. One was fastened to cleats in my existing inlet plenum and sealed with expanding foam to the closet walls, and the other formed the top of a lower plenum with a dust drawer. That plenum is a simple box with screwed butt joints sealed with silicone caulk. The drawer front is sealed to it with foam weatherstrip tape and turnbuttons.

Industrial setups with tube filters have elaborate cleaning systems with shakers and pulse jets, but a one horse shop like mine can get by with an occasional whack with a paddle to knock off the dust cake. I won't miss cleaning the cartridge pleats.DSC_0661[1].jpgDSC_0657[2].jpgDSC_0658[1].jpg
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 06-30-2021 at 1:13 PM.

I agree that impacting a cartridge filter with blow-by because of a leak or forgetting to empty the bin in time is a major bummer....DAMHIKT!!!!

That's an interesting arrangement for sure and something I'll have to keep in mind for my future shop build.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Kevin I like what you have done there. I want to change out the filter system on my Grizzly cyclone to something similar to what you have done. The cartridge idea is just too much work to clean for me. I find that the "fins" begin to fill up and restrict air flow . I have to completely disassemble the filters from the cage and clean with water then let dry and put back together once yearly. I use my system a lot because I work from my shop to make a living. The bag house system seems to make far more sense for this type of application. I also think that most stock filters could be at least doubled in square footage to provide better filtration.

Kevin, I think this is a huge improvement over the cartridge arrangement. I do industrial dust collection equipment in my day job. When using cartridges, we add 2-3X the filter area of a bag to get them to perform the same as a bag filter, and that is with the dust on the OUTSIDE of the cartridge. Most of our are pulse jet collectors.

Looks like you are making use of your space and have some constraints. Ideally, you have a transition to the filter plenum and the plenum is sufficiently large to provide even distribution of the air/dust to each filter.

Are your bags open on the bottom and connected to a dust plenum or closed on the bottom? Torit does some arrangements similar to what you have.

Michael, my plenum arrangement is far from ideal with an 8" round duct projecting directly into it. I can see that a transition would be an improvement, but I can live with the present arrangement. The suction seems to be better than with the cartridge although I can't measure it.

The bags are connected to a plenum at the bottom as well as the top with snap rings.