Thread: Oneida SDG install help

Oneida SDG install help

I bought a 2hp SDG (with the yellow metal cone) quite a few years ago and never installed it. I really hate ladders and ductwork. Anyway it's time to finally install it. I have 6" s&d and Clearvue blast gates. I know when this machine was new someone posted how to connect the 6"s&d to the 7" metal... but now I can't find it. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to boil half of a Fernco adapter and stretch it to fit the 7" metal, but does anyone have a better solution?

I'd pump the brakes first . Maybe a 7" main trunk w/ 6" drops will be possible ? You can get a tapered reducer 7" to 6" in metal , then customize as needed . I'd try to let the needs of tools being used give you some of the answers , CFM , drop sizes , etc . I have sewer/drain PVC and Clear Vue gates and I'm real happy . Good luck .

I'm a one man shop with an 8" pm60 jointer, a pm100 planer, 17"grizzly bandsaw, sawstop, router table and an old shaper. 6" ducts reduced to 4" directly at the machine should be plenty. I have a 2' piece of 26ga 7" hvac metal duct that'll go into the inlet, then I want to reduce to the 6" s&d. This is the connection I need help on...

You should be fine with that arrangement. You can often adapt the plastic to the metal reducer using a rolled up piece of sheet steel that goes in one side and over the other. Judicious use of foil tape will complete the connection. It may be a good idea to use a few pop rivets at that joint if it can in any way get any stress at all on it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Joseph,
    You had me confused. I read 6" s&d as 6" x 6" slip and drive. Lol! What's the odds of the 6"?

At work, blowers are usually connected to the duct with a "canvas connection". This is often 1/8" neoprene rubber, silicone the lap, and then use two make-a-clamps to hold on. McMaster probably has 7" hose clamps, if not you can put two together. If you need a bunch of reducers, it might be worth it to have a duct shop make them.

Have a look here for Fernco dimensions under the documentation tabs if you want to go that route. There’s a few options for joining pvc to other materials which are all different sizes. https://www.ferguson.com/product/fer...5166/_/R-54639

To connect my 5" inlet with 6" pvc I used about 24 " of pvc to make an adapter. I cut a wedge out of the pvc tapering from 0.0 to about 3.12". then closed it up with a series of hose clamps and heat. Cut was roughly 18" long.

6-5= 1 inch. Phi times diameter difference is 3.14 times 1"= 3.14 circumference difference.
    Bill D.

Phi x D= Circimferenc

Oneida sells a 7" to 6" adapter. I attached it to the cyclone, and then used a very short length of 6" flex hose to connect to the 6" SDR pipe. The flex provides a little vibration isolation. But you could connect it directly if you wanted.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Thanks guys. I was able to use a Fernco fitting and heat the one end in boiling water enough to slip it over the 7" metal duct. Onto hanging the pipe from the ceiling now...and 6" pipe looks a lot bigger in the shop then it did sitting in the rafters of the garage! I'm hoping to begin hooking up machines by the weekend!

Blog Entries
    A 6" PVC coupler fit near-perfect into my 7" inlet. I put a bit of tape around it and it ran leak free for many years until dissembled.

muffler.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler