Thread: skimmer plywood kayak video #2 ---assembly of the parts cuts out

skimmer plywood kayak video #2 ---assembly of the parts cuts out

https://youtu.be/sqXkHyKGczU

video #2 assembly also showing tracing out the full sized kayak bottom on the jumbo 4
    drawing boards for a cnc cut
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work Stan! What will you finish it with to make it waterproof before you take it to the lake try it out?
    David

That's a cool build, couldn't watch the YT video.

Circa 1972, my cousin and I got into kayaking.

My cousin, 15 years old at the time, his Dad bought him a marine plywood kayak kit. The outer skin panels basically sewed together with copper wire and then was seamed with 2" wide fiberglass.

After it was all finished, we suggested he fill it with water and check for leaks, but he was confident in his workmanship. So off down to our local river for the maiden launch.

He paddled out and around for about 4 minutes and I could see it was slowly getting lower in the water. No wanting to admit defeat, he kept paddling until it was nearly a submarine. It seemed to take us forever to slowly lift it and drain the water out before we could get it out of the river. We got it home and filled it with water. The fiberglass seams looked like a lawn sprinkler with all the pinhole leaks.

why couldn’t you watch the video

it should be coated with fiberglass .
    Edges first, that will waterproof it and paint or add the color to the fiberglass

i am not a fan of the sewing type boats, i like a frame. plywood glue and wood screws