Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box construction without dovetails or finger joints?

Box construction without dovetails or finger joints?

This may seem like a trivial question, but for my next project I would like to build a replica of a 19th century writing slope. I have seen modern builds, such as this one from fine woodworking, with mitred corners.
    011280072-Malcolm01-1200x675.jpg

But all, or at least most, of the historical examples I have seen, do not have miters. I am aware that some may be dovetailed with a veneer overlay, but do they veneer the edges as well? Some appear to be a rabbet joint with brass corners for reinforcement.
    Antique-kingwood-writing-slope-slope-support.jpgGeorgian_writing_box._Circa_1800._Escritorio_caoba_ingles_10.jpg

For more experienced people out there, how would you approach this?

campaign furniture I believe is normally full blind dovetails, and you can cut full blind with mitered corners as well.

Whatever you chose, keep in mind that showing endgrain was avoided.

I made one of these using half blind dovetails and breadboard joints ..

The fun part was adding three secret compartments …

Not fully traditional, but adding a modern twist is acceptable.

Regards from Perth

Derek

To do an accurate replica, you need to choose both a level of craftsmanship and of what region it was made. For every few cabinetmakers in a big city doing fine work for wealthy people, there was a small town carpenter making furniture for common folk. The city craftsman were working with imported lumber and the country craftsman was working in local woods and even then choosing the most common wood for secondary. And then your question about joinery. Of course the high end work had to pull out all the stops, the country work would likely be nailed together. Both made useable ware.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Beautiful work as always Derek. Do you have any pictures of the secret compartments? Or is that classified information 😎

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    To do an accurate replica, you need to choose both a level of craftsmanship and of what region it was made. For every few cabinetmakers in a big city doing fine work for wealthy people, there was a small town carpenter making furniture for common folk. The city craftsman were working with imported lumber and the country craftsman was working in local woods and even then choosing the most common wood for secondary. And then your question about joinery. Of course the high end work had to pull out all the stops, the country work would likely be nailed together. Both made useable ware.
    You make a good point. I tend to forget that not everything was gilded back then, and there was a lot of country furniture

Wasn't there a store...way back when...that sold everything a young British Officer/Gentleman could use, while on "Campaign". I think that is what Herr Schwarz was writing about.
    The Army/Navy Store. They even had a branch over in India. The cabinetry made made to both be rugged and fold down for carrying around in a wagon, on the back of a mule or camel...and be shipped to the buyers by ships.

Imagine the fun IF Cabelos sold furniture for that hunting trip....made of wood.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Wasn't there a store...way back when...that sold everything a young British Officer/Gentleman could use, while on "Campaign". I think that is what Herr Schwarz was writing about.
    The Army/Navy Store. They even had a branch over in India. The cabinetry made made to both be rugged and fold down for carrying around in a wagon, on the back of a mule or camel...and be shipped to the buyers by ships.

Imagine the fun IF Cabelos sold furniture for that hunting trip....made of wood.
    Yes there was. It had quite an extensive catalog, from tables to canons. There wasn’t as organized a supply chain in the British army at the time and officers were often tasked with outfitting their men and themselves. That’s why there was such a variety of uniforms.

Also, according to CS, the furniture often fell apart in India and other wet areas as the hide glue ‘let go’ in the local climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Beautiful work as always Derek. Do you have any pictures of the secret compartments? Or is that classified information 
    Hi Jason

All the details are here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/Lapdesk.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dovetail Class, Day 4, dry fit #4.JPG
    Box build from a while back...opened for dry fit..
    Dovetail Class, Day 4, end grain showing.JPG
    Was such a small box, I didn't bother to miter the ends...
    Dovetail Class Project, front view.JPG
    Was too small for any of the "normal" brass fittings..
    Dovetail Clas, jointer x 4.JPG
    As this is what the box started out with...sorry, didn't have any jarrah on hand...
    Dovetail Class, build a box, hinged lid.JPG
    Grandaughter in law now uses this as a Jewelry Box...BTW..
    Dovetail Class, day 4, handsaw.JPG
    Fancy-schmanzy dovetail saw..
    Dovetail Class, Day 2, kerf knife.JPG
    Did you know that Red Devil made "Kerf Chisels".....a No. 4101....
    Dovetail Class, setting a panel.JPG
    Used a Stanley No. 45 to plough these grooves....then switched to a bead cutter for around the lid open....YMMV...

I suppose one could miter the edges...to hide the end grain from showing....note that the dovetails also do not show...as those pins will show end grain as well.

If and when my lumber supply improves a bit...I might just try a writing desk....would need to find the brass fittings...or..make them..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I like the look of these small pins. I need to give that a try.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Here are a few pictures of a box I inherited. I don’t know the age, but it has documents in it from the 1850s to 1920s. It has lock miter joints in the corners and the outside is completely veneered over.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Someone enjoys a Montblanc fountain pen.

Eric, I use fountain pens all day, taking notes the old fashioned way. My mostly vintage pens provide a ray of fun and pleasure in the drudgery of endless writing. I have over a dozen vintage Montblancs, Pelikans, and Parkers dating back as far as the 1940s. They are all in constant rotation.

I strongly resist the move among my professional colleagues to use an electronic pen on an iPad, even though I love the idea of immediate conversion of written into typed notes.

Regards from Perth

Derek