Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for other old people

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    mower that won't run, left it sitting in front of the garage for 2 weeks hoping someone would steal it so I could justify buying a new 1.
    Love it. I am not very many years behind you on this one.

Rich,

I didn't know I was 'sposed to be "polite" once I retired, heck I thought that was one of the benefits!!??
    Seriously though, some days I do stuff, the other 6 days-stuff does me.
    I worked the tech field for 33 yrs. and got to see A LOT of change.
    I'm probably the only member here who doesn't/won't own a cell phone.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

71 yesterday. Have too much to keep up not to fix something every day. Keeping half paralyzed 105 year old Mother slows us up some, but no time to not do what needs to be done

Like Andrew, will take time to Winsurf when the wind is honking. Might be just a blast across the lake, and back, in front of a storm.

Miles of trails to clip, and don’t want to count the acres of grass.

Have three dogs bred to help satisfy puppy waiting list. Three more to go sometime soon……..

Lot's of shared sentiments here. I've not touched anything in the shop for at least 6 weeks unless it was for something I was dealing with at the moment. Haven't had the motivation. Also in the forever home. Happy with the home but certainly some sobering to the reality that I might not know it when I next move. I'm not retired yet but will be by the end of the year. More than comfortable financially but still trying to figure out if this is what I envisioned at this stage in life. As they say "life's a beach and then you die".

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    Boy do I hear you Rich.
    helping the Mrs. open that can of corn, with a pair of channel locks, because the company that processes the cans of vegetables doesn't have the where with all, to correct the tooling that crimps the perimeter of the lid, so your average Joe can grasp that tab that is crimped so tightly to the lid that it takes a normal guy with a 2 foot screw driver to pry the tab up so they can attempt to pull the lid off of the can, and then pull that lid up and off of the can using the channel locks, as a fulcrum, to get to that gmo raised corn that was,,,
    Unfortunately, Campbell Soup no longer makes their tool for lifting pop top rings. It had to be one of the best inventions of all time. I guard mine very carefully. It never leaves the house, with, or without me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Unfortunately, Campbell Soup no longer makes their tool for lifting pop top rings. It had to be one of the best inventions of all time. I guard mine very carefully. It never leaves the house, with, or without me.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F3BCK8

That Campbell Soup can gadget looks like a good thing for a turning project like bottle stoppers, etc. I'm sure a patent is involved but since I'm almost 70, who cares. I think I'll go look at my wood stash and unfinished projects again. I did finish an Osage Orange candle holder last week I roughed out 30+ years ago. I spent the weekend organizing and cleaning the shop. Progress.

Jim

Blog Entries
    I know I'm going to piss some people off but to paraphrase Ed Norton, the sewer worker, on the Honeymooners (the funniest show ever) when he was talking to Ralph Kramden, the bus driver," GEESH what a bunch of grouches"
    Dennis

You just don't want to (to be polite) - mess with stuff - anymore

The things I find most frustrating are dealing with companies that provide broadband ,car insurance and breakdown cover Every year there is a dancing around hand bags when I need to speak to a representative to negotiate a fairer price
    A company I have had particular problems with is TomTom I contacted them to return a faulty sat nav and the correspondence of e mails backwards and forwards comprised of more than 12000( yes that is correct) words to obtain a refund on a faulty sat nav
    I do sometimes wonder if my dogged determination is an asset or am too old to spend time on these areas of life

Yes. Getting older makes me less tolerant of fools, BS, and wasting time because of others. Being polite up to a point is good, but not if it leads to being taken advantage of. A lifetime of experience has to be used to judge people and things as being worthy of precious time. Thats why I got a firepit to solve my cutoff storage problem.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post

I will keep my eye out for one of those tools Bruce. Sounds like a winner. We can never have too many tools.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I know I'm going to piss some people off but to paraphrase Ed Norton, the sewer worker, on the Honeymooners (the funniest show ever) when he was talking to Ralph Kramden, the bus driver," GEESH what a bunch of grouches"
    So explain what your point is. I don't perceive grouchiness just people expressing their personal experiences. Not pissed off in the slightest. Just trying to figure out how talking about one's current status in the shop and in general makes us grouches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    [edited]

I'm probably the only member here who doesn't/won't own a cell phone.

Bruce
    No cell phone here though my status is contributor.

The polite thing ain't all its cracked up to be.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohdan Drozdowskyj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    I will keep my eye out for one of those tools Bruce. Sounds like a winner. We can never have too many tools.
    Notice what it says about availability:

Out of Stock.png

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It kind of snuck up on me when I was about 75. I no longer do all the redo's for rentals we have, gave back the Corvette my bro gave me a couple years ago, thinking seriously about letting the model A and the '55 T-bird go for the same reason...I cannot get in and out of them anymore. I have had toy cars for 50 years, and haven't really invested much in them, just keep horse trading.

I basically quit buying every great tool deal that showed up, so I could fix it and make a few bucks. I paid a guy today to do an oil change on my pickup. Never used to do that. Heck, I rebuilt my first engine (312 Y block) when I was 16.

I don't see any fine woodworking coming my way, just more cabinets, stair rails, library ladders, etc. for the family. Always been a DIY guy anyway.

Be 79 in a few months, and the injuries are gaining on me, but I stay pretty busy.

One thing I have given up on is panicking, thinking I did something wrong computerly, whenever Sawmill Creek would go down. Now I just turn it off and think there must be another storm in Virginia.

PS: Pearl of the day....You wanna hear God laugh? Just tell him YOUR plans.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 06-30-2021 at 5:05 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.