Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any differences between clamp together piping?

Any differences between clamp together piping?

In another thread there was a comment about the pricing of clamp together piping being approx 30% less than Nordfab, which seems to be the standard against all others compare, but since i am getting ready to pull the trigger on piping, it prompts me to ask if anyone has compared the various clamp together systems? I recall comments that the Oneida Gorilla pipe is the same as Nordfab, but whether that is accurate i have no idea. Does anyone have experience with the clamp together pipes from Oneida, Nordfab andBlastgate . . .or anyone else??

As to sourcing, i recall people indicating that Zoro frequently has a 20% coupon, and i think someone else pointed to Grainger as another source for Nordfab.

Thank you in advance for sharing any relevant experience. Patrick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    think someone else pointed to Grainger as another source for Nordfab.
    In my experience (can't speak for Nordfab pricing) Grainger has convenience store pricing. My son worked the counter there years ago.
    NOW you tell me...

I suspect there is compatibility, but that's not assured. I've purchased a few components from Grizzly in the past that seem to be the same as Nordfab and BlastgateCo...I may buy from the latter for my temp shop setup and will be able to directly ascertain if the machine and hose adapters I have from Grizzly mate cleanly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I look at Nordfab as a luxury, it would be nice to have and look at. I have installed it for work but didnt use it in my garage. I went spiral for 1/2 the price or less. The Nordfab is better flow but only marginally. Depending how much you have going in you can upgrade motor/impeller to compensate for less.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    In another thread there was a comment about the pricing of clamp together piping being approx 30% less than Nordfab, which seems to be the standard against all others compare, but since i am getting ready to pull the trigger on piping, it prompts me to ask if anyone has compared the various clamp together systems? I recall comments that the Oneida Gorilla pipe is the same as Nordfab, but whether that is accurate i have no idea. Does anyone have experience with the clamp together pipes from Oneida, Nordfab andBlastgate . . .or anyone else??

As to sourcing, i recall people indicating that Zoro frequently has a 20% coupon, and i think someone else pointed to Grainger as another source for Nordfab.

Thank you in advance for sharing any relevant experience. Patrick
    I have some pieces from Oneida and some pieces from Blastgate, all in the same dust collection setup. I had no problems connecting the two brands together.

Oneida is a Nordfab reseller, so their quick-clamp pipe IS Nordfab, and it's priced as you might expect. It is very high quality.

Blastgate makes their own pieces, and they are compatible with Nordfab. It is also high quality, however a few pieces I got from them had small pinhole openings in them at the welds. I found those by shutting off the lights and examining the connected pieces with a flashlight. I then simply covered those openings with foil tape and went on with my day.

If I need to buy pieces again in the future then I will buy from Blastgate. I only bought pieces from Oneida because I knew that the dimensions of those pieces (wye joints) would work in my setup. Blastgate's pieces are smaller than Nordfab's, but I needed a larger size to guarantee things would fit as I expected.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I have mostly Nordfab duct, sourced from Oneida. It's the best I've seen. When I needed to add on though, I saw recommendations for BlastgateCo. I priced them and Grainger (Nordfab reseller). The problem with Grainger was that they didn't carry everything - just the more popular selling parts I guess. I was under the impression that the BlastgateCo product was *identical* to Nordfab. I'm anal, and that was a plus for me, so I ordered it. It is not *identical* but all the necessary joints did match up fine, and functionally it's the same as far as I can see. It's definitely a money saver over Nordfab.

Gentlemen, i truly appreciate the insight. Thank you kindly, Patrick

Grizzly ia an option . No clue on their quality .

The laws of gravity do not seem to apply to prices. Things can rocket up and never come down. I am spending the afternoon drawing up each branch of the system and counting up the components. I have my price list +20%. Practically everybody who has Nordfab says to get it if you can afford it. I will try to answer that question today.

I got some Nordfab earlier this year through Grainger. Their prices were maybe a little better than other suppliers, but picking it up locally with no shipping charge tipped the balance.

Golly gee wiz, those Blastgate Company folks are quick...ordered Tuesday; two boxes of stuff arriving tomorrow. There was only one machine adapter that required custom sizing (stretched to fit over the SDD inlet) but even so, they quote 2-3 days for assembling an order plus 2 days shipping time for my location. They beat it for this order!

I'll be able to compare these components to the Grizzly machine and hose adapters I already own this weekend.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim -- I had a similar experience with Blastgate Company. Great people to work with.

When I was designing my duct layout, I went with the fittings that were in their online-catalog in my design. At one point, I wanted a branch to come off the main line to the left and another to come off to the right -- and I wanted the main line to continue going straight. I didn't see any spiral pipe fittings that would do that, so I went with two 45 degree 'lateral wye' fittings, one after the other. After I sent the company a diagram of my ducting layout so they could make sure I was ordering the right stuff, they asked why I hadn't used a 45 degree 'lateral double wye branch' fitting instead of the two lateral wye fittings. I told them I'd seen such fittings available for their clamp together ducting, but not their spiral ducting. He said not to worry about that. They'd custom make the fitting for me -- for less than the two lateral wye fittings would have cost. Once I placed the order, everything shipped in less than two days and was here soon thereafter.

I honestly don't know how they can provide this level of service for small shops such as mine. I'm glad they do!
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I ordered a new sliding tablesaw at the beginning of the year and have been remodeling my shop to prepare for it’s delivery hopefully this month. As part of the remodel had my floor ground down an epoxy finish applied, new led lighting and new ductwork from Blastgate. They were a great company to work with and I am extremely satisfied with the new ductwork.
    C3F2CA03-BDF1-4EEF-88D0-9C4208042625.jpg08CABED4-7DB8-4EDA-86A1-518C3EDA3284.jpg

Pat, NICE lighting and NICE floor. One thing i am curious about - and maybe i misread some of the DC literature - but i have seen several systems with the S curves going into the DC, whereas i was under the impression there was a preference for the last 6 -7 feet to be a straight shot so as to reduce turbulence. I have a 3hp Smart Oneida on its way and i have been going nuts trying to reconfigure the shop so as to get the straight run going into it. Starting to think i am missing the forest for the trees. Curious to see how it performs for you . Thank you, the other Patrick

Patrick, I too had always believed that you need a straight run into the cyclone and for past 20+ years that’s what I did. Recently I had a friend that purchased an Oneida 5hp Dust Gorilla Pro like mine and he set his up with two 90s and Blastgate ductwork. I was blown away with the performance of this system and find I have to open a second Blastgate not to starve the system. I called Oneida and they didn’t indicate a real problem doing it. Since setting it up this way with the new Blastgate ductwork I am very impressed with the performance and totally pleased with it. Here is a photo of previous setup.
    8311B1C1-4DDB-442B-BA64-B1F709349378.jpg
    Here is my friends setup which got me to upgrade my set up.
    55079B37-C22C-47A9-A07C-DB52F62FA286.jpg