Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut table and chairs

Walnut table and chairs

I would like to shared my walnut hayrake table and chairs.
    This is for my wife and I . Fortunately I was lucky enough to get the walnut before prices when crazy. I didn’t pay much attention where the walnut for the table came from. Kinda wish would have because the walnut for the chairs came from Missouri. By far some of the nicest walnut I’ve even had the pleasure to use.
    Lots of mortise and tenon joints lots of titebond 3. And last the finish is Rubio mono coat pure.
    Some fun facts the table has about 120 bd ft of walnut just under 1k
    The chairs took about 30bd ft of walnut and cost around 250 each. The chair legs in the back are a laminate 29 strips about 1/16 + thick. All cut with a resaw king blade very well behaved wood and excellent blade I felt like I knew what I was doing.
    My first of chairs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Very nice. Walnut's my favorite to work with, and a hayrake table is on the list of projects I want to tackle.
    Chuck Taylor

Fantastic Andrew !!! Like the sturdy look and form. Great job !
    I see a texture on the edge of the table top...what is that ?

Andrew, excellent job. I really like the hayrake table. I wasn't even aware of it until Lataxe (remember him) posted one he made, and have always been intrigued since.

Blog Entries
    Great job Andrew and very encouraging. I am planning on the dining table and chairs for the home and appreciate any nudge towards getting that started I can fine :-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Andrew ,nice work. I was surprised to read about the laminations since that style is pretty beefy. Never seen that hay rake
    style before and it is interesting.

Andrew that is fabulous work; really beautiful. I really like the embellishments on the table and the chairs. I liked Mike Pekovich's hay rake when I saw it in FWW. You've clearly stepped it up a notch.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Very nice work and beautiful Walnut.
    Charlie Jones

Really excellent work Andrew. Did you already have plans for either the table or chairs, or did you make your own?
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Gorgeous! Nicely done!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Thanks for the compliments. Tom asked about the table design. It’s Sidney Barnsley and Ernest Grimson design. The lower stretcher represents a wooden English hayrake.
    Im pretty sure nobody would ever ask me to make one. A piece I’ve wanted to make glad I did a very rewarding piece to make with lots of mortises and tenons.
    The chair design is something I saw once and kept it in my mind. I actually made two from popular first to refine the design.
    My goal was to make sturdy chair that completely contrasts the wobbly ones I’ve had for years.
    Mel asked about the lamination for the back legs. What’s not captured in my photos is the grain lines that run from top to bottom. And the slight texture on the chairs and tables. No sanding was done everything hand planed with a slightly cambered blade.
    Thanks Again
    Aj

Andrew, We might not be communicating well. I’m impressed with the work , just wondered why the laminations were used . Did you
    think it would not be strong enough with solid wood? Or were you going for a more flowing look ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Andrew, We might not be communicating well. I’m impressed with the work , just wondered why the laminations were used . Did you
    think it would not be strong enough with solid wood? Or were you going for a more flowing look ?
    Flowing look for sure. Resawed from rift 8/4
    Thanks Again
    Aj

Nicely done. Very stately. I had seen some photos and plans for hayrake tables and want to build one someday, but I had not seen any in walnut. The dark wood looks really good with the massive base.

Andrew you made some very nice chairs there. I really like the small, subtle S goin on in the back legs. Did you do the upholstery as well? And the 45 degree legs and the scarfed stretchers on the table work great. Nice tight joinery. Well done.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.