Thread: Lumber gloat fail

Lumber gloat fail

I found an estate sale online that was about 25 minutes away, and one picture was of lumber, rough sawn. Called and was told it’s mostly walnut and some oak, and it’s $100. Excited, I planned to head over with my trailer this morning.

Did a quick check in the dark unlit barn and it looked good. Got half loaded when I noticed one lighter oak board that looked odd - bunch of holes in it. Oh no. That’s right, Powder post beetles, and after further inspection it ALL had holes. There’s goes my lumber gloat, and man there was a lot of nice wood, which will now make a nice bonfire. Glad I noticed it or I would have infected my whole shop (no pun intended).
    Last edited by Matt Day; 06-27-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    That is a truly sad story.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I found an estate sale online that was about 25 minutes away, and one picture was of lumber, rough sawn. Called and was told it’s mostly walnut and some oak, and it’s $100. Excited, I planned to head over with my trailer this morning.

Did a quick check in the dark unlit barn and it looked good. Got half loaded when I noticed one lighter oak board that looked odd - bunch of holes in it. Oh no. That’s right, Powder post beetles, and after further inspection it ALL had holes. There’s goes my lumber gloat, and man there was a lot of nice wood, which will now make a nice bonfire. Glad I noticed it or I would have infected my whole shop (no pun intended).

Powder post beetles have to eat also.

Do they have to eat sawn hardwoods though?