Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Workshop Space

Future Workshop Space

So my wife comes home one day and says we should buy this house around the corner and fix it up for ourselves. Mentally I'm thinking - but I don't want to move. Then she says, "and you can use the adjacent commercial building for your woodworking shop. Suddenly I'm fully on board! This building was built around 1926 and housed a print shop up until a year ago. In all, there is 2700 square feet of space - although I'll likely only use about 1/3 of that for my workshop. The process of rehabbing this building and the adjacent house is likely going to take over a year, so it will be awhile until the tools get moved in. I suspect I'm going to have a bunch of questions for this group along the way!

IMG_7705.jpgIMG_7947.jpg

This is a great retro space with so many opportunities. This is going to be fun to watch.

That sounds great
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Sweet! Congratulations!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

"although I'll likely only use about 1/3 of that for my workshop. "

My forecast is you'll use it all. Enjoy!

Dang...I'd use every square foot of that space for woodworking and woodworking related activity and purpose!! Dedicated finishing. Storage. Flexible assembly area. An office for design work and mental gymnastics. Separate machine and hand-tool areas. Etc. Congratulations!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    This is a great retro space with so many opportunities. This is going to be fun to watch.
    23C6BFC6-A63E-4D18-A2B2-16D0C854CBF1.jpg
    So the building does not have ceiling joists - just a truss every 16 feet. There is no way I could leave that covered up. I’ve taken out all of the suspended ceiling tiles and insulation (two 13 cubic yard dumpsters). I can’t rip out the ceiling grid until I’m ready to rip out the lights. I haven’t got a full plan yet but I’ll likely spray foam the the underside of the roof and have plenty of headroom. 😀

Yup...closed cell spray foam will not only provide good insulation it will also provide some structural stiffness to that ceiling struction. Since it can be left exposed, it will help with lighting given spray foam is generally light in color.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yup...closed cell spray foam will not only provide good insulation it will also provide some structural stiffness to that ceiling struction. Since it can be left exposed, it will help with lighting given spray foam is generally light in color.
    Jim,
    I havenÂ’t talked to contractors yet, but based on YouTube, IÂ’m not sure IÂ’ll be able to leave the foam exposed. Although this will be a shop for me, when I sell it, it will be as a home. IÂ’m not sure if our city will require a fire resistant covering. Still early in the planning stages.

When I built my shop I had the entire thing spray foamed. It started out a light yellowish color and has darkened over the years. I think you should at least spray white primer. I intended to but didn’t have time before I moved in
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
    Jim,
    I havenÂ’t talked to contractors yet, but based on YouTube, IÂ’m not sure IÂ’ll be able to leave the foam exposed. Although this will be a shop for me, when I sell it, it will be as a home. IÂ’m not sure if our city will require a fire resistant covering. Still early in the planning stages.
    Closed cell spray foam that's applied in exposed areas generally had fire retardant added, but yes, local codes always apply.
    --

Blog Entries
    The foam can be sprayed with a white intumescent fire retardant paint. As always, check with your local AHJ for what is required & accepted.

I would build a small loft at one end. This has endless possibilities.

Blog Entries
    What a great adventure. Thanks for taking us along.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Smart wife!

We are so easy.