Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Future Workshop Space

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
    Attachment 460190
    So the building does not have ceiling joists - just a truss every 16 feet. There is no way I could leave that covered up. I’ve taken out all of the suspended ceiling tiles and insulation (two 13 cubic yard dumpsters). I can’t rip out the ceiling grid until I’m ready to rip out the lights. I haven’t got a full plan yet but I’ll likely spray foam the the underside of the roof and have plenty of headroom. 
    I like the look of the planking. If you need to re-roof, you could use sheet foam insulation on top of the planking. My shop has an open beam design with planking visible from below. The insulation goes on top of the planking, two layers of foam sheet, 3 1/2” + 2 1/2” to get to R-31, I think. Then 2x4’s going up the slope on top of the foam with spikes driven through the 2x4 and foam into the rafter beams. OSB on top of the create a ventilation channel between the 2x4’s to the ridge vent. Conventional roofing on top of that.

Does the building already have 3-phase power?

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I would build a small loft at one end. This has endless possibilities.
    Hmmm. I was thinking about putting attic flooring (loft) above one or both ends - but primarily for the AC units, hot water heater, and maybe a little storage. I hadn't thought about it for more usable space. Something else to consider! The architect who is working on our house is also looking at this building and I'm sure he is going to have ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    Does the building already have 3-phase power?
    Yes, it does have 3 phase power - although I haven't got plans to acquire any tools that would require it. As a hobbyist, do you think I'd want or need 3 phase? (are there advantages to 3 phase for AC units? - this will be a big space to cool)

I have plenty of power coming in, but I'm going to have the whole place re-wired from the electrical panels out. It is a bit of a mess since they've been adding on for 95 years. Wires running everywhere and not always connected. Since everything will be exposed, I'll have it all run in metal conduit.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I like the look of the planking. If you need to re-roof, you could use sheet foam insulation on top of the planking. My shop has an open beam design with planking visible from below. The insulation goes on top of the planking, two layers of foam sheet, 3 1/2” + 2 1/2” to get to R-31, I think. Then 2x4’s going up the slope on top of the foam with spikes driven through the 2x4 and foam into the rafter beams. OSB on top of the create a ventilation channel between the 2x4’s to the ridge vent. Conventional roofing on top of that.
    I do need to re-roof - I have leaks in at least 3 places and some rotted planking from those leaks. I'll look into doing the insulation on top. I am in a historic district and this building is contributing - so they might not let me do it.

3-phase motors can be built more efficiently (i.e. less $$) because there is a more consistent source of power for the motor.

https://blog.tripplite.com/single-ph...ower-explained

3-phase also gives you access to "old big iron" that often sells for pennies on the dollar if you are lucky. Of course, paying for three phase and not using it at all might not be the best choice, either. Check out your options with your power provider.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...