Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pressure washer recommendations for home use

Blog Entries
    Well, I just did some controls repair work on a "pressure washer" that is 22,000 PSI & is powered by a 600 HP diesel engine. It's used for concrete demolition without damaging the rebar & conduit. Very impressive machine.

I bet it would clean the deck in a hurry!

Thanks gents, I think renting for now will let me get the immediate problem fixed and I will go from there.

I own several pressure washers. I prefer ones with horizontal shaft motors as they are generally better made. I own a couple of Troy-Bilt, in name only. Both are Briggs and Stratton products. Amazing thing is name plate says B&S, but both have Honda engines . Also own a Sears, which is the same as one of the Troy-Bilts. Recently replaced the pump on an Excell 2500. What a difference between new pump and original pump, night and day difference. For my needs, if wanting a pressure washer, I would buy a used unit with bad pump, and install a new pump. Seldom do pressure washer engines wear out. I said seldom, as I got of a North Star with a Honda engine with a bad cam. New cam, and it works like new. 2200-2500 PSI is more than adequate for most needs.

I own 3-- one is a 1500 PSI electric I got at Home Depot several years ago. Pressure is similar to most car-wash pressure these day, good for washing most anything, safe for most stickers, would probably clean the gray off wood fencing, but don't know for sure...
    Second is a Generac 2700 PSI gas, had it for several years, works great, it's my go-to machine for washing cars & other basic jobs. Be careful with sticker-graphics on cars though...

Third is my beast, a Simpson 4400 PSI with a 420cc BS, don't know the HP but this machine gets horrible reviews because nobody can seem to start it --granted, if you don't have ALL the air out of the water lines it WILL damnear tear your arm off, but as long as I get clear water with no bubbles, it starts one pull most times. When you pull the trigger the initial kick is somewhere between firing a .22 and a 9mm pistol, and you must hold on tight I got this thing to strip rust and old paint off the bottom of our houseboat, and it works great for that, good paint stays put, compromised paint and any flaky rust comes right off. Works great with those wet sandblasting attachments too, AS LONG AS you're spraying down-hill so no water gets into the sand tube. 4.5 gallons per minute, lots of water...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I believe the one we are using right now is the lowest end Karcher we could find for the leat amount of money. Probably $79.
    It's replacement is sitting in the garage in an unopened box. We picked it up at Menards last year for $79 w/an 11% rebate.

They are both about 1500 to 1750 psi.

They work fine for something that needs more than a garden hose, but, less than a gasoline model.

For heavy duty - we either contract it out or rent a gas unit.

In all honesty - the older I get - the more attractive it's become for me to use my "universal tool" (my wallet) to do the job.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Just replaced my 20 YO 5.5 hp Honda powered 2200 psi Excell. Couldn't get the pump to stop leaking oil, and even after replacing gaskets and the unloading valve, best it would do is 1000 psi (yes I bought a gauge to troubleshoot). Went with the Mi-T-M 3000 psi, 2.4 gpm with the Honda 190 GC engine. Bought it from my local hardware that has a service department.
    NOW you tell me...

The motors do wear out on them. My Mi-T-M gas powered one came with an 11hp B&S Industrial motor on it. It was new in the '90's. It got harder, and harder to start, until it finally wouldn't. I checked the compression, and it was 29 pounds. They're under full load all the time.

Someone gave me another brand one that had a 13hp Honda on it. They didn't winterize it, and the pump burst. That motor had been sitting for years, but I swapped them, figuring I'd just put another carb on it. Put some fresh non-ethanol in it, and it started on first pull, and has every time since.

To make one easier to start, I turn the water on, and hold the trigger handle until water flows. While the water is flowing, I pull the cord. Even though that one is only 2500 psi, it's Very difficult to pull with the trigger off.

I've never been in that pump, but have changed the oil in it several times over those years. It's a belt drive pump. The Mi-T-M belt drive pumps are heavier duty than the direct drive ones.

edited to add: We never let it run without water flowing through it (never runs without trigger being pulled). The motor is shut down to change tips.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-27-2021 at 8:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Well, I just did some controls repair work on a "pressure washer" that is 22,000 PSI & is powered by a 600 HP diesel engine. It's used for concrete demolition without damaging the rebar & conduit. Very impressive machine.

I bet it would clean the deck in a hurry!
    Anybody see where the deck went? It was there yesterday.