Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure washer recommendations for home use

Pressure washer recommendations for home use

I'm looking into getting a pressure washer for around the house. Deck, patio, fences, driveway, windows that kind of thing. Anyone have any recommendations?

I originally had an electric unit, but last year, picked up a small gas powered one from Costco. (Husqvarna) It starts on one pull and works very well. For home use it's nice, because it has a variety of different nozzles, although I primarily use the broadest pattern to reduce the chance of damaging something. You can cut wood with these things with the narrowest, high pressure stream!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here are my thoughts. (I was a pressure washer contractor for several years) A pressure washer is a great tool. That can do a lot of damage real quick. Always wear shoes preferably work boots when using. For a home owner a basic 3500 psi is more than adequate. If you are on a well the less gpm is better choice. After purchasing your pressure washer. Immediately throw out the red tip. I haven seen too many people do a lot of damage with it. I always throw them out. Learn to clean with solutions rather than pressure. The big box stores carry a variety of them. Or research how to make your own. Enjoy your pressure washer. There is not like a cool mist blowing in your face on a warm summer day.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

My first pressure washer was engine driven, the one I own now is electric. Mobility is not a problem for me so I really prefer the electric model.

I owned a couple of electric pressure washers. Al died. They also weren't as powerful as a gasoline model.

I finally gave up on the electrics and bought a DeWalt gasoline unit. I've had that for about five years and it still works fine.

If you're willing to spend the money and have access to 240 volts where you're going to use it, I've seen some very good, powerful electric power washers that require 240 volts. You just can't get sufficient power from a 120 volt, 15 amp outlet to have a powerful pressure washer.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My biggest pressure washing job every year is to clean the mildew off the upper deck of the boat dock. Today is finally the day to get it done. The first step will be to replace the sprinkler pump that supplies 40 psi to the pressure washer. That has been the holdup. The old one has lasted 15 years of sun and rain. Job well done. I got another just like it. The deck is aluminum with some sort of permanent baked-on finish. After the pollen has all landed and begun to mildew, the deck is green rather than almond. I have both gas and electric pressure washers. The electric one is light and easy to get up the narrow stairs. However, it takes two days to pressure wash everything. The gas pressure washer is big and heavy and takes about half that. It will just be me lugging it. It is a decision I will have to take in consultation with my back. I do not use any cleaners because of the fish, snakes, and turtles that inhabit the shadows underneath the dock. I hate the pressure washing job but love the clean deck. See ya’ll tomorrow.

I have two pressure washers that I use on houses, including three museum houses we look after. One is a 13hp gas unit that is 2500 psi at 4.4 gpm. It requires two strong men to take turns running it, when we use extension poles. That is the most pressure I would use on wood. It has different sizes of tips, that spray different width fans, and the wider the fan, the less severe the local pressure. The wide open nozzle, used for sucking in detergent, and bleach, is not much more pressure than a strong water hose.

The other one is 120v, 1.5 gpm, at 1200 psi, if I'm remembering that right. It came with an adjustable nozzle, that I didn't like, so I changed the wand to one that takes different tips.

Tips are not only available in fan widths, but also for different water flow rates. If you get ones for more, or less flow than you machine, you can get fans in between the ones made for your machine.

I'm not brand loyal on many things, but pressure washers are on that list. The manufacturer is Mi-T-M. I don't buy anything else. That big one wore out one engine, that came on it, and is on the second engine. One week, it ran all day, every day, blasting off whitewash from an early 19th Century stone basement interior. It's done a Lot of work.

The little one is good for washing cars, including with a foam cannon.

Don't use a pressure washer on windows, or doors. The Windex hose end sprayers are great for window exteriors.

I bought a SunJoe electric a couple of years ago for cleaning the deck and siding. It has been super and I highly recommend it. It has enough power to cut wood so you have to pay attention to which nozzle you're using.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    I'm looking into getting a pressure washer for around the house. Deck, patio, fences, driveway, windows that kind of thing. Anyone have any recommendations?
    I have Ryobi gas pressure washer. I think it uses a Honda motor. Gets used couple of times a year. Have been using it for 5-6 years now. Beyond oil no maintenance. I use it to wash car, patio, outdoor furniture, walls, etc.

On the negative side, it's pretty loud. Came with 4 nozzles. I never use the highest pressure one. Tried it once and it took chunks of concrete away.

If I have to buy again, I would buy a electric one with max 25-2600psi but higher gallon per minute.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Rent one. They are pretty unreliable unless you buy a really expensive one. I rent one from a local place for about $25 per day when I need one. When I'm done I can take it back and not have to store it for the rest of the year.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have a small Landa electric that is pretty good. Problem is I can not find a rebuild kit and the crankcase gets water in it. So it will not last too much longer. Any electric with a real seperate TEFC ac motor is enough for most . The little as/dc ones are a joke.
    Bill D

I had a Karcher electric for several years, until I got rid of the wood deck. It was a pain to store in the garage with the cord and hoses for annual use, so renting makes sense to me.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I have a Simpson pressure washer that I used for my business now it's 31 years old and still going strong bought it from Glidden paint store

I just did the same dance this spring trying to decide on which pressure washer to buy. After searching the entire internet, watching about 32 hours of youtube videos and talking to every person I know and trust who owns a pressure washer, I settled on the Ryobi gas with the Honda motor from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-30...3001/303316335

It had consistently good reviews and I have become a convert to Honda small engines.

So far, I am very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Rent one. They are pretty unreliable unless you buy a really expensive one. I rent one from a local place for about $25 per day when I need one. When I'm done I can take it back and not have to store it for the rest of the year.
    +1...I just rent one when needed...no storage and it always starts. I have the same philosophy with boats...lol.
    A wannabe woodworker!