Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what berries are these

what berries are these

Parents home was sold recently and I still go and take care of the property. Catalpa tree is flowering, Black locust I trimmed dead branches off and in one corner there is a tree with tons of black berries that look like rasberries but a bit more oval in length. I found some on the front sidewalk and realized birds left them there. Lots on the ground and tons still on the tree. Ate a few and realized I better look them up before doing much more.

I tried to find the tree last night and think maybe a himilayan blackberry. only thing all were bushes and this is a tree. Father did have many fruit trees back 50 years ago. When I cleaned up that area along a fence there was endless stuff and remember vine type things that had wicked sharp thorns that even poked through leather gloves. The tree and it is a tree say 14" trunk at the base doesnt seem to have the thorns but maybe on some small branches. Attached two photos not great will do better next time there. Friend said if the birds dropped them on the sidewalk but not eating them maybe a message there. Then maybe there were full.

P1490539A.jpgP1490545A.jpg

I see a fruiting Mulberry. Less common than the fruitless mulberry that is more widely used in urban landscaping.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I see a fruiting Mulberry. Less common than the fruitless mulberry that is more widely used in urban landscaping.

Erik

If you want to know if there are any close to your house, simply hang some white clothes on outdoor clothes line. Birds will QUICKLY give you the answer. DAMHIK

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    If you want to know if there are any close to your house, simply hang some white clothes on outdoor clothes line. Birds will QUICKLY give you the answer. DAMHIK
    Mulberries are not a common landscape tree in our area but there is an invasive species call Ligustrum, that has these tiny purple berries. Every spring, the Cedar Waxwings come through and it's literally "purple rain" for several weeks.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

will they grow into a tree?

bark almost looks like an ash tree. I narrowed it down to Marrionberry, blackberry, dewberry, mulberry, boysenberry, olallieberries

Does look like mulberry that you said Erik
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 06-25-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Warren, I'm certain it's a fruiting mulberry. They were several in my neighborhood when I lived in California. The berries are edible. "Vaguely" sweet but not as tasty as you might think. I think landscape architects don't choose the fruiting variety exactly for the reason Bruce mentioned.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

think you are correct. Photo looks the same and ill check leaves better next time.

I just read a bit says heavy laden and it sure is. Mentions the staining aspect and what birds it attracts. Does stain the neighbours shed roof but at the bottom of a 200 foot lot not a big deal. Only thing i could not find is it referred to as a tree, ill look better next time at its overall height, Likely planted 60 or more years ago.

Blog Entries
    Looks like a Mulberry tree. They are common in PA. You don't have a location listed so that would help.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

that home toronto ontario

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    that home toronto ontario
    According to the U.S. Forest Service: The native range of red mulberry extends from Massachussetts and southern Vermont west through the southern half of New York to extreme southwestern Ontario, southern Michigan, central Wisconsin and southeastern Minnesota; south to Iowa, southeastern Nebraska, central Kansas, western Oklahoma, and central Texas; and east to southern Florida
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Looks like mulberry to me as well. We have a lot of those trees here on the farm in TN. On occasion we'll pick and use the berries but mostly they feed the wildlife. The llamas LOVE the leaves! On some trees the leaves get quite large.

JKJ

It looks mulberry or "amora" as knew in Brazil. They are very common in this country.

The leaves are the basic food for silk worms. I imagine that tree species came from Asia.

I grew up with a big of that tree in our backyard. The fruits are eaten fresh or in jelly form.

We see them as saplings growing along fence lines, as the birds poop out the seeds while sitting on the fence. We used to pick and eat them off a neighbor's tree as kids. The wood turns well if you get big enough pieces.
    < insert spurious quote here >

My grandfather always said just taste it and find out when it came to wild fruits and mushrooms. Whats the worst that could happen.

my mother said her mom was an expert on mushrooms. She knew which ones were for salads, which ones were to get rid of your husband when you were tired of him and which ones to sell on the dark web.

Thanks on the ID. I did eat some a day before asking and still here.