Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canceled my Sirius XM subscriptions today

Blog Entries

Canceled my Sirius XM subscriptions today

I've bee a Sirius XM subscriber since 2012. We listen to made 3-4 channels out of their entire package. At the end of my subscription periods, they jump the price up considerably (200 plus percent or more) and then you call and spend an hour on the phone and they finally give you a rate that is tolerable. For each of my two vehicles for the past two years we have paid $102 per year per vehicle for their "select" package, a total of just over $400. The renewal price quoted for the coming one year contract was $892.24. Who are they kidding? I called and after 2 long phone calls they offered me the select package again for a total of $123.96 per vehicle, but only for a year. I refused unless they would do it for two years. They would not budge on the one year term, so I cancelled.

What kind of a business plan gives a customer a 72% discount if you complain about the initial price of service year after year? I refused to play their game any longer and canceled. I can buy a lot of CD's to play in my vehicles for $125 per year.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I stopped about 5 years ago on my Pilot. The wife, however, just renewed her subscription on her new CRV.

Frankly, without the advantage of the mechanical inefficiencies of the three bones in the middle ear to dampen road noise, with my cyborg hearing (CI) it's difficult at best to listen to music driving down the highway for me. I do listen to music using headphones at home or with speakers if I am home alone. Road noise makes it much more difficult for this deaf guy to listen to music or talk radio, however.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    What kind of a business plan gives a customer a 72% discount if you complain about the initial price of service year after year? I refused to play their game any longer and canceled. I can buy a lot of CD's to play in my vehicles for $125 per year.
    Same with dish network.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Same with dish network.
    I started Dish back when it was 19$. I live rural and couldn't get "free" tv here.
    They upped my price several times over the years and backed down when I wanted to cancel.
    They wouldn't back down this time so I insisted they cancel--"Wait one minute sir"

They lowered to 15$ local channels only!! I fooled them as I still get ALL the QVC, religious, jewelry, auction....channels.

But seriously my income has never doubled in less than 10 years but my TV subscription has. Go figger??
    Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

No different from Comcast.

My Honda came with six months of Sirius free, and pretty much every time I have it in for service, I get another card offering me six months for free...dunno if that would be true if I'd ever used it, but there ya go.

(Full disclosure: I have no idea if the radio/CD even works in that car, never used it. It plays MP3s off a USB drive in the console, which can hold a couple hundred hours of music I actually like.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I about had a coronary attack the 1 time I had to cancel Sirius XM, spent an hour on the phone and told the person that if she put me on hold 1 more time I was gonna explode. I get offers all the time for cheap rates, will never pay again. Now with Android Auto I can listen to Pandora all day and even enjoy the music.

Blog Entries
    We paid for Sirius XM marine for an offshore trip so we could easily have weather info. Didn’t work. They charged extra for the offshore version versus near shore, but it still did not work offshore. Their advertisement quotes a guy who said he uses it 60 miles offshore. Doesn’t work even six miles out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    We paid for Sirius XM marine for an offshore trip so we could easily have weather info. Didn’t work. They charged extra for the offshore version versus near shore, but it still did not work offshore. Their advertisement quotes a guy who said he uses it 60 miles offshore. Doesn’t work even six miles out.
    You should look at their coverage map, it doesn't even come close to your islands.....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I do this same thing every year. It is not a big deal. Nowhere near an hour on the phone. I tell them right off or else I will cancel and they agree. Just have to remember to do it because they will charge their full rate if you do not call. They then have to adjust. Yes it is a pain but so are those nagging scam calls which now are invading the cell phone as well as house phone. Life is too short.
    John T.

The last car I bought had it free for a period of time but I never used it. So they didn't have my credit card or any other way to bill me. But they were relentless in their phone calls trying to sign me up. Often they would call 3 or 4 times a day. When it comes time for the next new car I'm going to tell the dealer that they do not have permission to give any information to Sirius/XM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You should look at their coverage map, it doesn't even come close to your islands.....
    This was for a trip out of Miami.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    I do this same thing every year. It is not a big deal. Nowhere near an hour on the phone. I tell them right off or else I will cancel and they agree. Just have to remember to do it because they will charge their full rate if you do not call. They then have to adjust. Yes it is a pain but so are those nagging scam calls which now are invading the cell phone as well as house phone. Life is too short.
    I never give them my credit card number. I always got a paper bill sent to me.

I've never subscribed nor ever will. And at this point, streaming is far superior in sound quality. Sat audio is so highly compressed I find it unlistenable, honestly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm getting close. All in I pay about $200 per car per year for the service that includes video and streaming to my computers and mobile devices. We use it a great deal, especially when traveling. That said, we've both decided that we'll cancel versus paying another penny.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.