Thread: Ipad pro and woodturning

Ipad pro and woodturning

I got an Ipad Pro recently. Thinking of getting the Apple pencil or some other brand of pencil to use to sketch shapes/forms, and ideas for turning and using it to write quick notes and ideas (I can write quicker than I can type). Anyone use an Ipad pro for that? if so, here are a couple questions:

- What pencil do you use - the expensive Apple brand or some other brand? And your thoughts on the one you use -what you like or don't like.

- what drawing/sketching or note taking program do you use that will save your ideas in an easily accessible way?

any other suggestions, thoughts, etc?

Thanks!

I use the apple brand. Never have had an issue with it.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I have the first generation iPad Pro with the Apple pencil.
    I use notes for text and Procreate for graphics.
    I use the built-in keyboard and a blue-tooth mouse when I am working.

I use the iPad for customer meetings, have it loaded with high resolution pictures of past projects and it always makes a difference.
    My iPad Pro is also serves as my mobile computer when I am traveling.
    Been saving my money to buy the new iPad with the M1 chip and the more advanced Apple Pencil.

I've used the Apple Pencil with my iPad Air (3rd gen) for some time. It's excellent for notes and sketching. It's amazing with ProCreate.

Just playing around:
    jkj-sig-600.jpg

If you use the iPad a lot consider the keyboard that uses no batteries, snaps on to the iPad magnetically, and has a touchpad. Almost like a small laptop.

My geek son said stick with the Apple pencil. He uses one with his iPad Pro.

JKJ

2nd Gen iPad Pro + Apple pencil, here. No complaints. I find it more useful than a computer for showing customers things, sketching ideas, etc. I do have a Logitech case that has a small sleeve for the Apple pencil. That way, it is always with the device., The only thing non-Apple I has is a little silicone lanyard that keeps the pencil cap connected to the pencil (which I highly suggest).

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    2nd Gen iPad Pro + Apple pencil, here. No complaints. I find it more useful than a computer for showing customers things, sketching ideas, etc. I do have a Logitech case that has a small sleeve for the Apple pencil. That way, it is always with the device., The only thing non-Apple I has is a little silicone lanyard that keeps the pencil cap connected to the pencil (which I highly suggest).

Erik

Eric, what app/program do you use for sketching? is it Procreate like JKJ and Keith mentioned or some other one?

Clark - do you use any apps for drawing/sketching?

Keith - My wife gave me the go ahead so I bought the new M1 unit even though I could have saved a buck or two buying a new in box 4th gen Ipad Pro. Just trying to figure it a out since some of the gestures for app switching are not what I am used to from a regular 4yr old standard Ipad.

JKJ - I would love to have the new Apple keyboard but that's a pricey add-on. I am saving up for it but it may be a while since I'm a a limited disability income and the new Ipad Pro killed my tool fund money! thanks for the input on Procreate that you and Keith mentioned.

Anyone else want to add their input?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    ... I would love to have the new Apple keyboard but that's a pricey add-on. I am saving up for it but it may be a while ....
    Ricc -- I have the Bluetooth Keyboard Case from inateck on my iPad Pro 12.9" (3rd generation). It works well. The case cover, the part that covers the screen, has a keyboard in it. It's an almost full-size keyboard and the keys, while they don't have a lot of travel, have a good feel to them. Even with my large hands, I can type on the keyboard just as fast as I do on my iMac's keyboard. When I open the cover, the screen comes on and the keyboard is propped up at a comfortable angle for typing. I can easily detach the keyboard if I want some extra room between it and the screen. The keyboard has dedicated keys for doing many of the things I frequently do on the iPad. The back of the case has a support that props the iPad screen up at one of three viewing angles. And, the top of the case has a place for holding the Apple Pencil while the iPad is in use. (The Pencil charges in that position and is in easy reach.) When the iPad is not in use, there is a slot for storing the Pencil that is covered by the keyboard when the case is closed.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the case and keyboard. The battery charges quickly using a micro USB cable. Once charged, I can go weeks without needing to recharge the battery. My only complaint is that the case only holds the case in landscape. When doing a lot of typing, I prefer to have the iPad in portrait. Even with that limitation, I would buy the case again. I've dropped my iPad several times and the case has protected my iPad from damage every time.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Eric, what app/program do you use for sketching? is it Procreate like JKJ and Keith mentioned or some other one?
    ProCreate is more of an art program (and an incredible one) but pick a pencil "brush" and it will work for sketching, freehand or with certain constraints for straight lines, rectangles, circles, etc. Definitely not a cad program.

However, almost all of my sketching is in pencil on my favorite paper: Ampad, like this or at any office supply store: https://www.amazon.com/Ampad-Enginee.../dp/B000Q5Z5UO

Hands down my favorite sketching paper! It has 5/inch graph paper printed on the reverse so it barely shows through the paper as guides but is not inked so strong to get in the way of the sketching. The pads are punched so I can tear off and save sketches and plans in a loose leaf notebook. When in school I used it for all my notes and working math/engineering problems. Now I've been using it for years to plan woodturnings, flatwood, metalworking, and construction projects as well as to take notes and organize things like incubation schedules for the peacocks and such.

incubating-schedule.jpg

When incubating birds, I have to keep up with the incubation batches, numbers and types of eggs and their origin and parents, when to candle and how many are discarded, the schedule for moving to the hatcher, how many hatched, color variations, any hatching/genetic defects, general health and more. So far this year I've started 37 batches of eggs, adding about 9 peafowl eggs in the last few days and another 20 guinea eggs just a few minutes ago.

This method has preserved my sanity after counting days on the wall calendar almost destroyed me last year! For me the Ampad paper is perfect for this - far better than lined or straight graph paper.

JKJ

JKJ - I would love to have the new Apple keyboard but that's a pricey add-on. I am saving up for it but it may be a while since I'm a a limited disability income and the new Ipad Pro killed my tool fund money! thanks for the input on Procreate that you and Keith mentioned.

I didn't look at Apple's version but bought the Logitech: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086LKKDJT Don't know about the price but I think the one from Apple is more expensive. I have the iPad air and gave my previous Logitech snap-on keyboard (without touchpad) to one of my sons with an iPad pro and it works fine with that.

Another son recently bought the big iPad Pro (12.9"?) with 256g memory. Wow, what an incredible screen. He declined to get me one too.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Another son recently bought the big iPad Pro (12.9"?) with 256g memory. Wow, what an incredible screen. He declined to get me one too.

JKJ

That's the one I just got. it is cool!! I just need to learn all it's capabilities.

The newest Magic Keyboard is $299.00 and it looks like a very nice accessory.
    When you add the pencil and more memory the new iPad Pro can get real expensive quick.

A bump to the top in case anyone missed the thread and has something to add.