Thread: Anybody used the new cordless Makita 12” miter saw?

Anybody used the new cordless Makita 12” miter saw?

I’m looking for real world feedback on this saw. The model # of the one I’m considering is the Makita XSL08PT and is a 12” saw that runs off (2) 18V batteries and has rails and a bevel lock similar to the Festool Kapex. The rails are more centrally located and don’t project out past the rear of the saw. Similarly, the bevel lock is located at the front of the rail/saw and doesn’t require the reach around maneuver.

I do a mix of (professional) woodworking and finish carpentry and find myself on-site with a miter saw on stand with a dust hood and automated dust extractor enough to be strongly considering upgrading my Dewalt DWS780 (also a 12” slider) The 780 is a decent saw, but not as accurate in the rails as I would prefer. Dust collection is passable but not anywhere near great even with a Rousseau Dust Hood hooked to a Dust Deputy/Fein Turbo II setup.

I am already heavily invested in the Makita 18V battery platform and am considering upgrading to the miter saw and am wondering about accuracy compared to the 780 and any other real world differences of note. Just from looking at specs, it looks like the Makita is significantly heavier (69# vs 51#)

The more space efficient design with the rails is very attractive for both on site work and if/when I bring may bring it into my shop when not in use on site.

The Dewalt has a shadow line/LED light for the cut, but I don’t always find myself using or trusting it. The Makita has an adjustable red laser for the cut line indicator.

The Makita AWS (Bluetooth activated dust extractor integration system) seems handy, albeit a bit expensive to buy a matching vac dedicated to the miter saw. I use the Fein with its tool
    activated Auto switch currently and it’s cheap and easy.

I would likely sell the 780 if I got the newer Makita. Any one used one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Still waters run deep.

I have not tried that one yet, but I do want to encourage the newer cordless full size saws a little. We have the Dewalt Flexvolt cordless version of the 780 in the rotation and it is a very good saw. It's a game changer to not have to find someplace to plug in. Makita has a well earned good reputation in my experience and I'd imagine that this new flagship model won't disappoint.

I do wish Makita or Dewalt would make a 10" version. It'd make an easier to move saw with plenty of capacity. I prefer a 10" over a 12" generally for the work we typically do.

Steve ,Mikita makes a 10” version of that saw .

yeah I just got the 10" cordless, haven't really used it yet but seems like a nice tool.
    WoodsShop

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Steve ,Mikita makes a 10” version of that saw .
    Interesting, I did not know that. Will have to look into it.

Thanks for the replies so far. The saw I was looking at was actually a barely used model bundled with a bunch of other Makita goodies for a great price and it sold before I had the chance to drive down and grab it. I think I might prefer the 10” version as well especially given its increased capacity over most other 10” saws.

Im also interested in the corded version 1019/1219 as it looks to be the exact same saw without batteries and AWS system. I don’t know that I would be looking at the cordless version first if I hadn’t see a great deal on a barely used one. I wish I could see one in person and really look it over and feel how the rails slide, but nobody in my local area carries enough Makita to have this model on display.
    Still waters run deep.

Cordless versions of these larger tools are becoming a lot more popular now that the manufacturers have figured out the power demand thing with them. WIth both miter saws and even jobsite table saws available that use battery power, it's somewhat a game changer. That Makita setup looks nice for sure. I believe Milwaukee also has good options, too, in their "red" ecosystem.

A channel I follow on YouTube (RR Buildings) pretty much uses cordless stuff exclusively for their post-frame operation. They are even now powering some of the "tailed" tools that have no cordless equivalent from battery banks rather than using a generator when that's possible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’m looking for some info on depth dimensions of this saw (or the 10”)

What I want to know is how deep the saw is overall from the very rear of the saw to both the very front of the saw (miter adjustment knob) as well as a range from the rear to the front of the fence where the inner most edge of a board to be would be laying.

I’m assuming the rear of this saw can be tucked right up against a wall/obstacle as the rails do not have any travel past the rear of the saw, correct?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has one and is willing to measure and post it.
    Still waters run deep.

OK Phillip, this is the 10".

Distance from back to where material lays is 14", distance out to knob is 31"
    IMG_0183.jpg

compare that to the 12" Dewalt
    21" to where materials lays and 40" to edge of knob.
    IMG_0184.jpg
    WoodsShop

Wow, thanks Joe! Very helpful, especially as the Dewalt you show is what I already have. The service around this place is second to none!

Quite a bit of space savings. 7” and 9” less depth, respectively is a huge deal for a sliding miter saw in a small shop.
    Still waters run deep.