Thread: Anything woodworking to see near Pittsburgh?

Anything woodworking to see near Pittsburgh?

My wife has a business meeting about an hour east of Pittsburgh and I'll probably go-with. Should have the better part of a day to wander around and check out anything interesting, ww related or not. Any recommendations?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

The incline.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Frank Lloyd Wrights' "Fallingwater" is about 1 hr. 15 min. East of Pittsburg. I enjoyed seeing it.

I think Fallingwater is more south than east but I agree it is a great place to tour.

There used to be a WW store on the west side of town that had a lot of hardwoods in addition to a good supply of tools. We moved from there in 1999 so I'm not sure if it is still there or of the name. We lived in Monroeville which is in the east. I used to drive a bit more east and buy hardwood at a couple mills but occasionally I went to the place on the other side of town I am remembering.

The incline is touristy but worth a visit. There are half a dozen (or used to be) restraurants at the top of Mount Washington that are a good place for dinner. Some overlook downtown. You have a great view of the fountain where the rivers meet downtown and now the baseball stadium from up there. There is also Station Square at the bottom of Mount Washington which is shops and places to eat. I don't know how you are traveling but I used to consider Mount Washington to be on the way to the airport. It is the second tunnel you go through on the parkway going east to west through Pittsburgh. I liked getting there better going West to East - you go through a more residential area. If you are going east to West you have to go through part of downtown - which isn't terrible, you just have to make the right turns.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    If you are going east to West you have to go through part of downtown - which isn't terrible, you just have to make the right turns.
    Pittsburgh has interesting roads.
    3ad033b252300e7faffeb6b4d541b62c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Pittsburgh has interesting roads.
    3ad033b252300e7faffeb6b4d541b62c.jpg
    Haha, yes! Fort Pitt Bridge heading into the tunnels is definitely a moment of tightening down the chin strap. That is one of my commuting routes, and its best to hit it with a bit of speed and conviction.

I live here, and i dont know if the city has anything "woodworking related". Mars Lumber in the north suburbs purchased West Elizabeth Lumber Company, which used to be a supplier of some renown, i think. I personally dont buy from them, but they have a conditioned showroom with a ton of exotics. Woodworking aside, the views of the city from Mt Washington are superb. Falling Water is a bit of a drive from Pittsburgh, but very worthwhile. Its almost a religious experience for anyone interested in building or design. Its also nestled in a nice part of country. I like to hike the Ohiopyle area in the spring and fall. I would only try for that if you have a full day.

If you have a couple hours, then the northshore has a great park and trail system along the river. Same thing across the river, a trail connects the Strip District to the Point, and is a good walk. If you only have an hour, then i would drive to Mt Washington and walk Grandview Ave.