Thread: How to Make Bora Workbench Casters Removable

How to Make Bora Workbench Casters Removable

I don’t like the looks of workbench casters and they are obviously a hazard to toes. However, I bought a set of Bora casters to solve a problem of infeed clearance for long workpieces into table saw and planer. It seemed easiest to the bench than move the two heaviest tools in the shop. The saw and planer both leave tracks in the oak flooring when moved.

It was an impulse purchase and I had not considered how the casters would be mounted to the bench. That turned out to be a problem which led to a solution that also solved the looks and toe hazard problems.

The cross beam for the bench feet has a bit of offset from the bench leg. The caster would have to straddle the offset. I would need to screw through a spacer that would weaken the screws that attach the caster to the leg.
    C7D5C8AB-7CEC-4193-ABDA-1EF41E527413.jpg
    I came up with a better solution, attach the casters to a separate 2x6 and just clamp the assembly to the foot of the bench.
    2DA21B93-B1C9-4010-A9FA-2EB51F000521.jpg
    It works great and no benches were defaced by the addition of casters.
    085AFB12-720F-4D22-8B4B-B3770A4269A8.jpg
    The Bora casters work well and do not mar the floor.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 06-23-2021 at 7:25 PM.

Interesting solution, for sure. I’ll keep this in mind. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Meryl Logue View Post
    Interesting solution, for sure. I’ll keep this in mind. Thx.
    +1. Thanks for sharing your idea!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I also "prefer" there to be no casters on a bench, even if they are fully disengaged from the floor. I had that arrangement in my old shop for many years, actually, because I hated knocking my feet and ankles into the necessary accommodations.So making it so things can be removable is a good thing, IMHO.

(safely, in my current temporary shop, I'm going to need to leave the mobility stuff attached so I can adapt during projects simply due to lack of space)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I should add that the Bora casters are really sturdy and lift my heavy bench easily. The removable feature also means I can use the casters on my out feed table and lathe bench which have similar style legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    The removable feature also means I can use the casters on my out feed table and lathe bench which have similar style legs.
    That's actually a major benefit, IMHO!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    You might take a look at these > https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...kbench-casters

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've made those for my bandsaw, Bob Minchin has some plans to make some entirely from 40, 50, and 60mm box iron, on the woodhaven2.
    SAM_4601.jpg
    They work but are a lot of effort to use for a heavy weight, and depending if you want the machine low
    not really a case for a workbench, but applicable to a bad floor., you might just have to use a mini crowbar/wrecking bar,
    to disengage them, should they get stuck still engaged on the casters, should they not be swung in the right orientation.
    I made some changes from Bob's design and the Bora, on version two, which was to make more of a flat on the underside
    and weld a wee strip on the 40mm box (I didn't have any thick box iron)
    This is both to counteract them getting stuck, and also to save my boots, as it can do a number on a tough leather boot.

Not so much an issue if ones intent on clamping them on to the legs, but something to bear in mind.

The trouble is, that you're likely to a bit tight on space to make or buy them, so you generally move the thing tight into a space.
    Same deal with all I've seen, a single pedal like Carl Holmgrens design is superior to all, night and day,
    but even then, that single pedal can often be in the abyss.
    My next design is going to have a lever accessible from both sides, and still not be in the way so I can clean up and find things.
    But the Holmgren design is seriously good.
    Nevermind, you'll be happy with any, until you use a better system.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 09-07-2021 at 4:08 PM.