Thread: Spray Finish for Shop Furniture

Spray Finish for Shop Furniture

I am pretty new to spray finishing and recently bought a used Fuji Q5 Platinum spray system that I want to try out. I am in the process of making an assembly table and want to practice finishing with the bottom assembly (cheap plywood) since it will be low consequence and a good place to start learning the process.

What clear water borne finish can I use that will be cost effective and a good place to start for a beginner like me?

Can I use the same finish on the top (MDF with cherry surround)?

The guns where never cleaned well and really stink of a strong chemical. What should I use to clean them up before I use them?

Lenmar's Duralac WB sprays great, looks great, is hard and durable except against strong chemicals, and is pretty reasonably priced, or at least it was last time I bought it. You can buy Lenmar products at Benjamin Williams.

No clue what to clean the guns with. I think it depends upon what's in it. But you certainly want to get the guns clean, besides getting rid of the smell. Stuff dried inside the gun will compromise how well it sprays. You may want to replace the seals in the guns, too, or at least order a set just in case.

John

Some will chuckle about my suggestion since they know I'm a Target Coatings fan for waterborne finishes, but when I don't have leftover clears from that brand for a shop project or other utility need, I honestly just use the Minwax Polycrylic. It sprays beautifully right out of the container, is available in multiple sheens, is reasonably prices and is available locally at big box stores as well as the Sherwin Williams stores. (parent company)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No clue what to clean the guns with. I think it depends upon what's in it. But you certainly want to get the guns clean, besides getting rid of the smell. Stuff dried inside the gun will compromise how well it sprays. You may want to replace the seals in the guns, too, or at least order a set just in case.
    I bought the system from a body shop so I assume automotive finishes.

Some will chuckle about my suggestion since they know I'm a Target Coatings fan for waterborne finishes, but when I don't have leftover clears from that brand for a shop project or other utility need, I honestly just use the Minwax Polycrylic. It sprays beautifully right out of the container, is available in multiple sheens, is reasonably prices and is available locally at big box stores as well as the Sherwin Williams stores. (parent company)
    Great, thanks! That makes it easy, I will pick some up.

Keep in mind that the gun you got from the body shop may be setup for spraying much thinner materials, than waterbornes tend to be. Take some time to figure out the how best to spray waterborne...you may need a larger N/N to get the results you prefer than would have been used with low viscosity automotive finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What finish would you suggest for the work top that will be MDF with a cherry surround?

I don't have a preference for spray or wipe on, either one would be ok, most durable is what I am after.

Thanks

Edit:. I should searched first. Lost of good options in this thread:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....assembly+table
    Last edited by Julio Vargas; 07-10-2021 at 5:55 PM.

7. I just used my Fuji Semi Pro2 for the very first time on my first shop project, a flip top for my planer and osc. sander. I used shellac that went on really nice and dried super fast. Just a thought...