Thread: Hammer A3-31 cutter head upgrade to Byrd Shelix

Hammer A3-31 cutter head upgrade to Byrd Shelix

After a LOT of research, I had some info where the most helpful was a document where a Hammer C3-31 had been upgraded. Thus, I started with this, very quickly I realized that it was a good reference but LOTS of differences. To hopefully eliminate serious issues I started to document my process.
    There were two phases to my process. First I translated the parts diagram and because I'm a bit anal about some things I spent a lot of time correcting minor document issues. The second was the actual procedure. Because I was taking a LOT of pictures and creating hand-written notes all of which were then placed in a Word document. All of this took a LOT of time.
    The entire process was spread over two weeks where I spent about a week on each phase.
    Because I'm well over the hill in age, I do take breaks more often than when I was younger.
    Because the completed document consists of 39 pages I have attached the completed document in PDF format.
    Comments/suggestions/donations would be appreciated.

Well DARN, the forum has a size limit for attachments of 156KB and my PDF is 3.06MB, see https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/inde...r-a3-31.72088/ for the attachment.

Wow, that's quite a bit of work, doing and documenting something Hammer says can't be done!

Now that you have experience with both the straight-knife head and the Shelix head, what's the difference in performance?