Thread: PM 1500 question

PM 1500 question

I recently bought a new PM1500 bandsaw. For the life of me I can't figure out what a particular opening in the casing is for. This opening is on the upper right side (when facing the saw from the front - same side as the quick tension lever) in the radius of the of the upper casing. It is a squarish opening.

It is not the blade tracking window which is on the other side of the saw

This may be a Mr. Obvious moment for me but I am not seeing what it is for and I was unable to find reference to it in the manual. Th only thing I can guess at is it allows access for maintenance or removal purpose related to the upper wheel, but again I can find no reference to that in the manual. I am also lost at to if it is supposed to have a cover but Mr. Google shows pictures of the PM1500 with what appears to be no cover.

I don't suspect that the good folks at Powermatic just woke up one day and decided, that is a good place for a random, unused square hole, but its also odd that they don't reference in the manual if it has a purpose.....so, any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Rob

Weight reduction in untensioned area?
    Bill D

Well.....I won't say that is not it since I obviously don't know because I asked.............but its about a 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" hole so not much weight loss there.

Thanks for the response.

The blade tension window comes to mind, it's not on the same side of the saw as the blade tracking window
    But go here:
    https://content.powermatic.com/asset...500_man_EN.pdf
    scroll down to page 7 or so, and maybe you can see something which helps?

You say it's on the same side as the blade tension lever, but I have a new pm1500 as well, and I have no rectangular cutout on the same side as the blade tension lever. That side of my saw looks exactly like the picture at the above link.
    Maybe they forgot to install your tension lever position label?

It can also be related to cooling of the castings and tensions set up by uneven cooling. Edges chill first then it goes deep into the castings with the thick innermost sections cooling last. They usually strive to reduce tension or sometimes the the tension even be designed to rigidity.
    It may be as simple as a hole to allow a lifting hook in the mold or the casting for easier holding and fixturing.
    Casting is often charged by the pound and handling may be charged in steps by the pound range. For example if it weighs 100 pounds it may cost one dollar more then if it is 99.99 pounds.
    Same reason movie theaters always have an odd number of seats and Foreign cars have an oddball engine displacement just under an even 500cc range like 1497cc not 1500, not 2,000, not 2,500 etc.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-23-2021 at 12:56 PM.

OSHA can also get into the weight reduction thing as well. There is a certain weight below which the employer does not have to provide lifting equipment and hoists while making or machining stuff.
    Bill D.

On Edit: if the casting is below 51 pounds no lifting gear is required. If you can save two dollars per saw in iron costs and sell 50,000 a year you paid one employees salary just to figure out how to save that two dollars. After year one the cost savings is free. Nice if you are still making the same design 75 years latter.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-23-2021 at 1:02 PM.

Crank your upper blade guide all the way to its maximum height and you will have an opportunity to experience that "Mr. Obvious" moment you mentioned above.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert Hayward; 06-23-2021 at 5:32 PM.

When you raise the blade guard up it pops out the top of that opening.

pm1500.jpg

Yep. My bulb must have been dim this morning. This is it. New saw and I never fully cranked the blade guard up

thanks for you patience and responses.

Congrats on the new PM1500, mine arrives Friday the freight company just called to schedule delivery. That was a long 4 month wait, ordered it back in Feb.

Thanks. I got lucky on getting mine. I had three tools that I wanted and was having trouble finding. I happened to find the PM2020EVS drill press at a local dealer. They had to look hard to find it when their computer said it was there, but they eventually did. As they were loading it I said I would probably come back in late Summer and order the bandsaw...that is when he said he had one. Someone ordered it and happened to cancel and did not pick it up. i found the PM2244 sander of all places on Amazon, but since then the dealer called and said one had arrived.

Fortunate when Woodcraft told me September 1 on the saw, August 1 on the drill press and the sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Burch View Post
    New saw and I never fully cranked the blade guard up.
    I have had mine for a few years but can recall seeing that hole and asking myself pretty much the same question you posted. Some time later when I had a big thick bowl blank to cut out of a log I cranked the upper guide up to near max and the bulb lit up.

13. I have the PM2820EVS on order also. Ordered in April, estimated May 20 shipping now estimated Jul 14.