Thread: Delta "Plan a Home Workshop" Booklet

Delta "Plan a Home Workshop" Booklet

Hi All,

Going through stuff, I found a booklet from Delta on "How to plan a Home Workshop," it is booklet #4541, and the price is listed as 25 cents.

It is in great shape, looking like it could have been printed this year, all the photos are black and white, but there is no date. It is printed with heavy high quality glossy paper pages.

I have looked at old "Deltagram" magazines on the auction site, trying to identify the dates of the power tools shown in the booklet. The homeowner size table saws all have a narrow cabinet, it looks about 8" wide, with the cast table mounted on it, and the motor mounted on wooden cabinet below the saw. That is the saw is mounted on the top of the cabinet top, and the motor is mounted on a shelf below the top.

I have not read it yet, but only scanned through it, but one reference is made to a "tilt table" saw, and I have no idea when Delta stopped making such. My guess is that such is the type of table saw seen in most of the photos, although a larger industrial type table saw is seen in some photos.

Looking at the pictures in the Deltagram magazines, which have dates, my table saw shows up in the late '50s copies, but it is not pictured in the booklet. My guess, from the magazines is that the power tools shown seem to match the 1940s to maybe the mid 50s at the very latest, but it is hard to tell with a lot of certainty, . The shop storage cabinets look to match the type shown in the early to mid '40s to perhaps the mid '50s.

The clothes they are wearing might be from the '40s as best as I can guess.

The booklet is very interesting, as I hope to see a shop of my own in the next year or two. It is pretty dated, but some things about shops do not change, such as good lighting, etc. I am planning for mine to be a hybrid shop with power tools, but plenty of hand tool work, with the main focus of the shop the workbench.

I believe the booklet was either my dads or my grandfathers, but I do not remember seeing it before this, and it was with three news papers with dates from 1953 to 1956.

Based on all I can tell, I believe the booklet is likely from the mid '40s to the early '50s or so.

Any help in identifying the date, based on the Booklet number, #4541, would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 06-26-2021 at 9:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    I found a booklet from Delta on "How to plan a Home Workshop," it is booklet #4541, and the price is listed as 25 cents.
    An ebay listing indicates "How to plan a Home Workshop" is edited by Ed Hamilton. My feeling is your date period is in the ballpark.

Doing a search on > edited by Ed Hamilton < found this:

Edited by ED HAMILTON.png

Most companies at the time had their own in house publishing departments. If South Bend Lathe Works was part of Delta, then all bets are off. Otherwise it might be reasonable to guess in 1951 Mr. Hamilton may have been working at a different company.

it may have been he left Delta to serve in the military during WW II and came back finding a job in the publication department of a different manufacturer.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-27-2021 at 1:26 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

Thanks, we are in the process of packing for a move late next month, so I have packed the booklet. However, if I recall, the author is Ed Hamilton.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Jim,

Thanks, we are in the process of packing for a move late next month, so I have packed the booklet. However, if I recall, the author is Ed Hamilton.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Your are welcome. Glad to be of help.

Found an interesting old video from WW II while searching but it was for DeWalt > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiGH0Qsu3ak

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)