Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire speed ratings?!

I agree that the shop should have informed you before they installed them and offered to replace them if that's what you wanted. There's another rating, the load rating, I assumed that the old and new tires had the same load rating. If not then that could be more of an issue than speed rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I agree that the shop should have informed you before they installed them and offered to replace them if that's what you wanted. There's another rating, the load rating, I assumed that the old and new tires had the same load rating. If not then that could be more of an issue than speed rating.
    Load rating is the same as the old tires.

I bet the shop rarely has anyone who cares about the speed rating. Most people want a decent cheap tire personally i spend a little extra on tires - after all they are the only thing keeping you attached to the road.

I doubt that very many consumers even look at tire specifications..."oh, that looks nice and the price is right" is likely a very common thing. Most of the time, it doesn't matter. Sometimes it does. In this case, the actual physical risk is very little, but I absolutely agree that the tire shop should have disclosed that the tires they were suggesting were out of spec with Subaru's parameters.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am one of the few who care about tire specifications. I have a motorhome that takes 11R24.5 tires. The tires cost about $500 each mounted. You bet I carefully study the tire specifications when I am spending that kind of money. I don't think any heavy truck tires have speed ratings over 75 MPH. Weight rating is the important thing more than speed rating on heavy truck tires.