Thread: Target Coatings Pigmented Lacquer

Target Coatings Pigmented Lacquer

Hey all,

I am building a dresser that needs to be painted. I have a Fuji Q5 that I will use to spray whatever finish I choose. Target Coatings tinted lacquer has come up quite a bit in my research and appears to spray easily right out of the can. My big question is the color match. My client has given me a Benjamin Moore color. I don't know much about paint so I am wondering if I can count on Target being able to replicate this color accurately. Thanks

They did when I asked them to. (N=1, so take it for what it's worth)

I'm a novice spray painter, but I really liked that product. It ended up better looking that a whole lot of "factory" finishes I've seen.

They should be able to match the color code, though I have only done it with one BM color code with them.
    Still waters run deep.

Target can color match any BM, SW and one other brand color with the name and color number. I've done that a lot and in my experience, the match is spot-on.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow! Specific color matching to SW colors. I have to remember this. I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

Any specific issues to keep in mind for spraying this? I usually spray pre-cat lacquer, and haven't used WB finishes in a number of years.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Alan, like any finish...if you set the gun up properly, you should get a good result. These finishes are thicker than solvent based lacquers. I use a gun with the 3M PPS system which works kinda like the old Playtex baby bottles. The finish gun is assisted with material flow by a slight (5 psi) pressure that collapses the soft container inside the cup which helps make things more predicable and allows use of reasonable needle/nozzle sets. For the EM6500 tinted waterborne lacquer, I use a 1.5 mm N/N. For the clears, I use a 1.3 mm or 1.0 mm N/N depending on the specific product and they lay down great.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Alan, like any finish...if you set the gun up properly, you should get a good result. These finishes are thicker than solvent based lacquers. I use a gun with the 3M PPS system which works kinda like the old Playtex baby bottles. The finish gun is assisted with material flow by a slight (5 psi) pressure that collapses the soft container inside the cup which helps make things more predicable and allows use of reasonable needle/nozzle sets. For the EM6500 tinted waterborne lacquer, I use a 1.5 mm N/N. For the clears, I use a 1.3 mm or 1.0 mm N/N depending on the specific product and they lay down great.
    Thanks, Jim. I also use the 3M PPS system, so I know what you mean. I'll have to try some WB products again, sometime. I was disappointed first time a few years ago, and since I have the ability to safely spray lacquer, I usually gravitate towards that since its relatively easy and fast. But custom tinting - Hmmmm.......
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

I think it's important that one "burn" a bunch of finish to figure out the ideal gun setup and air settings for each waterborne product they intend to use to get best results, especially because unlike many solvent based finishes, you can only do minimal thinning of waterbornes for viscosity. When you get things dialed in, they go on beautifully. Spraying finishes is a "dance" that has a lot of "feel" to it and the only way to have superior results is to practice. That does cost money initially, but it's worth it. One thing I really do plan on doing with the new shop when it's built is to spend more time doing exactly this. My old shop was pretty ad-hoc relative to a spray environment and I'm hoping to have "a spot" that's more dedicated to that process in the new shop. It will still be waterborne and shellac only, but having a more dedicated space means that practice will be a lot easier.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...snip... My old shop was pretty ad-hoc relative to a spray environment and I'm hoping to have "a spot" that's more dedicated to that process in the new shop. It will still be waterborne and shellac only, but having a more dedicated space means that practice will be a lot easier.
    Jim, since you're building, why not add an explosion-proof exhaust fan to give yourself more options for solvent-based finishes. Cost increase really wasn't that much, if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Jim, since you're building, why not add an explosion-proof exhaust fan to give yourself more options for solvent-based finishes. Cost increase really wasn't that much, if memory serves.
    It can be a consideration for sure.
    --

Thanks, all. I talked with Jeff (I think that's his name) from Target and he assured me the color would match. Ordered the 6500 and the 5000 primer and also ordered the PPS 2 system for my sprayer setup. Hope it goes well.

I finished a bath vanity in EM6500 tinted to a Benjamin Moore color. His match was perfect.

IIRC it only comes in one sheen?

I wanted a flat finish and some more protection, so I topcoated mine with their flat sheen conversion varnish 8000 (+ crosslinker)

Good products. The 5000 primer is rather viscous because it's high solids, so be sure you do the work to determine the best gun setup for it...it may be different than the finish, although that also needs to be dialed in, too.
    --