Thread: CanCam CNC

CanCam CNC

In my never ending search for the right single phase 4x4 used CNC in my budget, i have the opportunity to look at a local 4x4 CanCam. There is very little information on this manufacturer or the specific machine. In this case, its the B1 44M. From the little ive read, the parts are chinese made/sourced, and then assembled and tested in Canada. Maybe an unfair comparison, but similar to Laguna's IQ or Swift lineups. From a spec standpoint, it seems like a great machine with nema 34 stepper motors, 3hp air cooled spindle, and hiwin linear rails with ballscrews. The weight seems a little light around 950lbs, and i suppose my main concern is the controller. The machine is 5 years old, and i expect i have a few good years on the controller, but i do worry about 5 years down the road if it craps out. Are generic controllers relatively plug n play with all machines, or am i tied directly to a controller that is compatible with the Yako stepper motors? This is an area of CNC i am very ignorant of, the brain of the machine.

Patrick as long as it uses standard stepper or servo motors and hopefully driver boards you can replace the controller. I use Mach4 in my hobby level machine and others use on much larger ones. You can also get other very popular controllers (Acorn https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid...ontroller.html) that will work just fine. What does it have now for a controller and software?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I dont know if the Yako steppers and drives are standard or not. The controller appears to be a Weihong NK105 DSP Controller.

I think they use Vectric currently. They arent including the software, so ill need to purchase that separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I dont know if the Yako steppers and drives are standard or not. The controller appears to be a Weihong NK105 DSP Controller.

I think they use Vectric currently. They arent including the software, so ill need to purchase that separately.
    Vectric is a design program, what is the controller software? Without the controller software or a Post Processor for it the machine is useless as it sets.
    Last edited by Bill George; 06-22-2021 at 3:34 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Are generic controllers relatively plug n play with all machines, or am i tied directly to a controller that is compatible with the Yako stepper motors?
    Replacement controllers range from the Centroid Acorn (around $300) using CNC12 control software to perhaps using the Arduino/GRBL/Candle combination for under $50. In either case the prices assume you are reusing your existing stepper drives and power supplies. But the drives and power supplies can also be replaced if needed and reasonable costs.
    David