Thread: Table Leg Strength of Design

Table Leg Strength of Design

Morning all! I’m working on a dining table design and am getting concerned about the grain strength in the curved leg design. The grain is planned to run vertically and I’m not intending to do bent laminations. Should I be concerned with shear forces that would break this design?

https://imgur.com/a/edNzxQY

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Mason View Post
    ...Should I be concerned with shear forces that would break this design?...
    I would be concerned. Better to select crooks whose grain roughly matches your curve, if you have a good reason to avoid laminating.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

You don't include dimensions, so it is tough to tell, but you'll probably be all right. Table legs don't get big stresses like, say, chair legs.

If you're really worried about it, you could make the legs with three layers of wood. The outside layers would run up-down, and the middle layer would run horizontal. That would be very sturdy. And the visual effect would go with the decorative approach you have in the drawing.

Jamie, the dimensions of the curved legs are roughly 24x24, was thinking 1.5” thick.

I like your idea of the sandwich! I’m just beginning to experiment with leg designs to try to find something easy to build but interesting to look at.

I appreciate the comments!

You didn't mention the planned wood species. At 1.5" square with the high end eastern North America hardwoods I would still be concerned about grain runout honestly. I think the three layer sandwich is a really good idea.

I would imagine in white oak or rock maple with that much curve in the stock you would be OK I think, but I have never seen a standing oak or maple tree with that much curve. I guess you could look at "boat knees" or "ship knees" for sale. Occasionally a boat builder with a chain saw might cut something close to that from the base of a branch and the trunk section immediately below, but those are going to be priced for their grain orinetation at a much higher price than straight grained bf of the same species.

It is a nice looking design, don't throw in the towel just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Mason View Post
    ...I’m working on a dining table design...
    One of the elements of good design is the proper selection of the correct material for the job. Or, conversely, selecting the correct form for the intended material. Neither of these elements has been met by the proposed design, yet.

With that much curve just natural cracking and wood movement is a problem. Bent laminations are the way to go. Four layers is not so bad to do, just need one form to clamp to, no big deal really and very strong.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

When laminating you should always use an odd number of laminations.

I appreciate the insights! I was planning on using hard maple or walnut. I watched a video of a guy making some crazy curved legs for tables using bent laminations and it made me reconsider doing it!

You only have to do that when you are using three layers but four is better.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!