Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer for CNC

Computer for CNC

So I've taken the plunge and ordered myself a gantry CNC.

I went through the decisions of buying my second machine first, but as a hobbyist, when that second machine got into the $14K range, I backed down and decided to go with a more entry level setup.

I probably will not receive this for two or three months, but wanted to get a jump on the design software, in this case vCarve Pro.

Working, I was a software developer and did the last 20 years, go that time, on Windows based computers. For the last 10 (retired) years, I've been using a MacBook Pro laptop, so I'm totally out of touch with Windows and computers running Windows.

So I'm leaning towards a laptop, have no brand preference, well maybe Dell. I have a 24" monitor and a bluetooth mouse, so will most likely be using this more as a desktop on the kitchen table.

The CNC setup, OneFinity, does not need to be plugged into a computer or need WiFI to run, so this laptop, or whatever, will not be needed for this operation.

Thanks

Im in your boat too. Im waiting on a credit for my original order so I can reorder the larger x50 journeyman.

As far as Vcarve. You can run it on a Mac if you install Parallels. It wasnt very expensive somewhere under 100. You may one day need to purchase windows for it also(So far just a gentle request.)

I am going to try their wall mount and have a 2.2kw spindle setup wired up all ready to go for when I get mine

Which spindle setup did you go with. I'm holding off buying the recommended router until the CNC gets here, but would rather go with a spindle setup from the start.

I run my Vectric software on my Macs on Win10 under Parallels virtualization. My CNC machine does used a Windows 10 computer for control (WinCNC controller in my case) so I have my Vectric software on there, too. WinCNC doesn't permit using a laptop because of physical interfaces. Other controllers often do. So if you intend to use the same computer for both design and control-control, be sure to get specifications from the CNC machine manufacturer for what you need.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Im in your boat too. Im waiting on a credit for my original order so I can reorder the larger x50 journeyman.

As far as Vcarve. You can run it on a Mac if you install Parallels. It wasnt very expensive somewhere under 100. You may one day need to purchase windows for it also(So far just a gentle request.)

I am going to try their wall mount and have a 2.2kw spindle setup wired up all ready to go for when I get mine
    I just ordered the X-50 upgrade. 1F gave me a discount code that brought the price to the same as if I just ordered the Journeyman. If you reorder will you get moved back to the end of the line?

I ended up going with a liquid cooled 2.2kw HY spindle and VFD and have a 6 month old HP gaming laptop I'm going to use. I haven't decided if I want to have 1F send me the machine and then later send me the upgraded X axis or just wait since I need the 80mm spindle mount (since I don't have a trim router).
    Last edited by Alex Zeller; 06-22-2021 at 8:31 PM.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I decided to go with a 27" All-In-One Dell. Spent a bit more than I planned, but getting the 27" screen for use with VCarve and Fusion360 seemed like a good way to go.

Nice thing is, I'll be able to watch all the education videos on YouTube, on my laptop, while following along on the new computer, and it will be nice having a proper keyboard and mouse for this.

Does that all-in-one have a higher resolution than 1080p? You'll benefit more if it's at least UHD (2550).
    --

It's 1920x1080, so no, not UHD/4K, but I'm not sure the type of stuff, I'll be doing, will be of benefit, for me, if it was a higher resolution.

Yes, I'd like to have bigger/better/higher, etc., but I was trying stay within a price point, which I blew up by 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    ........................................Yes, I'd like to have bigger/better/higher, etc., but I was trying stay within a price point, which I blew up by 50%.
    Well there's your problem, lol. I was thinking that $1500 was a good budget to get my feet wet. Well that wasn't realistic, not that I felt it would be, but I'm well over twice that and I still haven't bought software yet.

It's 1920x1080, so no, not UHD/4K, but I'm not sure the type of stuff, I'll be doing, will be of benefit, for me, if it was a higher resolution.

Yes, I'd like to have bigger/better/higher, etc., but I was trying stay within a price point, which I blew up by 50%.
    You'll not suffer for things like general browsing, sending files to the CNC, running controller software, etc. Where you would see the difference is when drawing/designing if you plan on using that machine for that purpose...things where you are working with details.
    --

Well that was quick, ordered mid day yesterday and now it's sitting on my kitchen table waiting for me to figure out how to re-learn Windows.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 06-25-2021 at 3:47 PM.

If your thinking about a WinCNC controlled machine it can get pretty pricey. Not just the first time but in a few years when its time to replace your computer you may need a whole new WinCNC card and they ain't cheap. My computer motherboard failed a couple years ago and I had to do the WinCNC card upgrade. It was time to purchased a new computer system anyway but I did not consider that I had to order a new WinCNC card as well. I had to coordinate my computer system purchase with the folks at WinCNC to make sure my new motherboard had the appropriate access slot for the new WinCNC card. I could have purchased the computer system from WinCNC but the price they quoted me was much more expensive. Of course I had to get new drivers and they were not free to the best of my knowledge. I could look up what my final costs were but I don't want to cry again

Fortunately, it's quite a few years between those kinds of upgrades, Keith. The WinCNC folks have been working on an Ethernet interface and that bodes well for future machines in this respect. But obviously, it's not helpful for folks with existing controllers since that will require changing a board in the controller, not just dealing with the external computer. Of course, the higher level of sophistication and capability that WinCNC and similar "more industrial" controllers bring does come at a cost. . It sounds like Chris isn't faced with that as he mentioned USB connection to whatever CNC machine he's selected for his shop.
    --

Started doing the Vcarve training videos yesterday, following along in the software as the video plays on my laptop.

So far, I don't see the resolution of the 27" (1920x1080) being an issue.

To Keith's point, I've seen several (commercial) CNC's come up for sale that would have fallen within my budget, but I've always been a little scared of what kind of problems I'd fall into with older software and controllers, especially being a newbie to this type of equipment.

Started doing the Vcarve training videos yesterday, following along in the software as the video plays on my laptop.

So far, I don't see the resolution of the 27" (1920x1080) being an issue.

To Keith's point, I've seen several (commercial) CNC's come up for sale that would have fallen within my budget, but I've always been a little scared of what kind of problems I'd fall into with older software and controllers, especially being a newbie to this type of equipment.
    Not a lot of world changing updates to CNC software at least for our Routers anyway. The design software your using is one of the best, and as long as whatever your using has a Post Processor that generates the flavor of gcode your machine controller uses your fine.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10