Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer for CNC

I use Vectric Aspire and don't see a need for anything more then 1080p. I do have a 42 inch TV monitor hooked up to my CNC with Aspire on that computer

I guess I'm different...I need at least ~2550 to be able to view the level of detail I prefer on a 27" monitor. No matter, what's most important is what the individual prefers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I picked up a used HP gaming laptop with a Nvidia video card. I got it cheap (in part because the kid who owned it didn't bother to list enough details to figure out what model it was). It has several downsides (like backlighting for the keyboard that's not white) but the video card can go up to 8k Ultra HD resolution with an external monitor. It'll also crunch the numbers faster when V-carve is trying to render a drawing in high detail. Is it needed? I'm not sure. But if it turns out that I get into 3d modeling I should have enough power to do it. The laptop's display is full HD and I find if I need to see more detail I zoom in. Even though a computer isn't needed to drive my CNC I felt it could be useful to be able to bring it to the machine so I opted for a laptop.

I have found several SVG files of images on-line that have problems. As I learn to spot and correct them I can see where a higher resolution monitor would be helpful.

VCarve and Aspire are very gentle on the CPU, honestly. Rendering of 3D models in the highest resolutions can up the time, but "in general", even a basic Win10 computer will almost be loafing along.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Which spindle setup did you go with. I'm holding off buying the recommended router until the CNC gets here, but would rather go with a spindle setup from the start.
    i went with huanyang 2.2kw 220. I was looking into good air cooled but i figure I can burn out 3-4 of these before I get to the cost of a nicer one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I just ordered the X-50 upgrade. 1F gave me a discount code that brought the price to the same as if I just ordered the Journeyman. If you reorder will you get moved back to the end of the line?

I ended up going with a liquid cooled 2.2kw HY spindle and VFD and have a 6 month old HP gaming laptop I'm going to use. I haven't decided if I want to have 1F send me the machine and then later send me the upgraded X axis or just wait since I need the 80mm spindle mount (since I don't have a trim router).

I did get moved to mid september. they told me it was the only way to go from woodworker to x50 journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I did get moved to mid september. they told me it was the only way to go from woodworker to x50 journeyman
    I can only speculate that it's based on when the original order was placed.

My Journeyman X50 is scheduled for September delivery as well.

I have the same spindle (kit) on order.

They look like good machines, worth waiting for.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    My Journeyman X50 is scheduled for September delivery as well.

I have the same spindle (kit) on order.

I ended up putting together a closed loop water cooling system for it. A pc cooling radiator/2 fans/ mini pump. (some people complain having a bucket of water around is annoying). Cost about $100 But I have the 80mm mount and pump from the huanyang kit im gonna throw up for sale.

If you ordered from amazon it says it will be 4-6 weeks but i got it in a week.

I would like to see the design and components of your cooling system.

My spindle is scheduled to be delivered this Friday, according to Amazon.

I'm trying to decide whether to use extruded aluminum or wood for the support cabinet, wood will be cheaper and probably easier, for me, to work with.

I did order the Journeyman OCW Frame for spoil board support.

Do either of you know when the X-50 rail is suppose to start shipping? I read that the 80mm Spindle mounts they just got in stock and could start to ship next week. I thought I read somewhere that the X-50 was going to be shipping in the beginning of August but can't find it now.

OneFinity has an order estimated ship date page on their website, but you need to know your order number, but I don't think it breaks it out by parts versus full machines.