Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about gated community/property and UPS

Question about gated community/property and UPS

As I've mentioned before, we are building a mini-farm on 10 acres with a long drive to the house off a fairly traveled road. Considering putting an electric gate at the entrance. So my wife's first question is "how do we get deliveries? " So to those of you with gates or those in a gated community, "how do we get deliveries?"

Thanks,
    Perry

Some people give the code to the delivery driver, Some use an intercom and "buzz" the gate open, Some instruct deliveries to be left inside the gate via a personnel opening to be retrieved by you later Some people use a drop box, the delivery is put inside and the the door is shut and locked, secure for you to pick up at you convenience.
    There are many ways to go about it

I live in a gated community, and those services just [magically] know the code. Maybe the HOA gives it to them. But I have no idea how it'd be done for a single home as you're talking about, and am curious. Add police, fire, ambulance to the list of services too, I guess.

Oh, hadn't thought about EMS, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    . Yeah, UPS you can finesse. But fire and ambulance need to get in immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    . Yeah, UPS you can finesse. But fire and ambulance need to get in immediately.
    Around here, if the gate's not opened already or not equipped with a Fire Department override (box), they use their own 'finesse' - aka 'bolt cutters'.

When we got my aunt a medical alert device, we discussed access with the local fire station / EMS personnel. We installed a key box for them, but they smiled and said if she didn't answer the door, they'd use the key or cut her a new front door in 15-20 seconds with a hot-rod chain saw ...whichever seemed faster. I smiled and said, "Excellent!"

Here, they have things called a Knox box that you put next to your gate. It has a key lock inside it and the emergency services have the key to it. Using the key will open the gate. Otherwise, the emergency service people will put their truck against the gate and push it down. They are not responsible for fixing it - you are.

Regarding deliveries, I give the gate code to the delivery companies - UPS, FedEX and Amazon. Make sure they can get out. Some gates have a button you have to push to get out (ours does because the people gate locks when you close it) and we had a delivery guy get trapped inside one time. Luckily we were home and were able to let him out - and show him how to get out. I think they then put that in your account information because other drivers have been able to get out.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-28-2021 at 11:34 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My first thought would be to move if I lived in a place so dangerous it required gates (and presumably tall fences around the rest of the perimeter) for access.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    My first thought would be to move if I lived in a place so dangerous it required gates (and presumably tall fences around the rest of the perimeter) for access.
    Roger, it’s not a dangerous place and I won’t have a full fence, just a few sections for landscaping highlights. The gate is cosmetic, but will still need an operator.

I have a homemade electric gate. It is based on a pair of screw-drive garage door openers. After 20 years it is still running strong. We live in a pretty safe area, but it is rural and in an emergency, "when seconds count", the sheriff is perhaps 20 minutes away. So, I put in a gate. I also grew up in an intercity neighborhood and have developed a "situational awareness". So, I don't depend 100% on the gate.

I also put in a "Knox box". It is a key-based system that the fire department uses. It may go by other names in different parts of the company So, if I can't open the gate - - the fire dept and paramedics can. And have.

If I am expecting a delivery, I typically leave the gate open. My wife doesn't check things that closely, so sometimes the gate is closed when UPS, Fed-X, etc. shows up. They have always tossed the packages over the gate. One time I think that they stuck a "post-it" to the gate. So, we really haven't had much of an issue with it.

I do have an intercom at the gate combined with about 600 feet of irrigation cable (it is waterproof) and a "Ring-down" detector. If a delivery person presses the call button, the phone in the house rings and when I pick it up, I am connected with the gate. Then I can use a Ramsey Kit DTMF decoder. I key in some numbers and the gate opens.

Our County does a Sherrif's Citizens Class over about 14 weeks, discussing all aspects of policing and services.

One of the things mentioned in the class, that was talking about the 911 call center and responders, you can inform them of alarm/entry codes, for doors, gates, pets in your house (are they protective etc.), so 911 responders can get to you easier than tearing the place up and shooting animals unnecessarily.

It might be worth checking with you locl 911 call center.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    My area isn't dangerous either. I get the monthly report from the sheriff's office and we have very low crime. I have a fence around my place and a gate in the front - actually two gates, one for people and one for the driveway. The advantage is that I can let my dogs out anywhere in the yard without worrying that they're going to run out into the road. I do think that the fence and gate serves as a deterrent to property crime (what little we have). If I leave the garage open someone can't just walk up the driveway and steal something. And if my car is parked in the driveway over night, they would have to go over the fence or gate to get to it.

There have been reports of thefts from unlocked vehicles in the neighborhood.

I really like the arrangement we have - I think everyone should have something similar.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The delivery companies' apps have a notes section for the driver. Put gate codes and instructions there.

I've seen TV ads recently where UPS can open your garage door, put your deliveries inside, close the door and move on-- No idea how that works, but...?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

You can set a garage door opener for a one time code.