Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP. Need a new chainsaw chain. Stihl MS180

HELP. Need a new chainsaw chain. Stihl MS180

Don't have much experience buying a replacement chain for my chainsaw.

I have gave up on my Stihl dealer after lack of service on my ZTR. Went to another dealer and after a big storm was all sold out. Trying to buy something aftermarket on line but not sure what I need to search for. It is a 14". Think it is a thin kirf blade.

Stihl saw.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Here is an exact fit
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bruce got it. A regular mower shop should be able to make what you need. The place I use to go to didn't sell pre cut length. Just another option.

I'd be surprised if any shop kept a whole spool of .043 to make up loops with. You can probably even buy then at Lowes. You need to know the number of links, or it might say for Stihl 14" bar.

On the larger chains, different makes of saws use different numbers of drive links for the same length bar. Not sure about these. The "50" on your bar is the number of links.

There are online shops, like Bailey's, that would have them in stock, and probably even on ebay. By the time you pay for the free shipping, it would probably be cheaper from a dealer. Our Ace hardware is a homeowner saw dealer, so they keep the loops in stock.

I buy from Bailey's online...typically Oregon chain. But you can just take your bar with you to any local shop so they can match things up.

Don't overlook considering replacing the bar if it's been in service for a long time. They are also "disposables" and wear.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This would work too for about 1/2 the price of Stihl: https://www.forestershop.com/foreste...hain-wn4c.html

I do admit, Oilomatic saw chain is about the best out there though. Stays sharp much longer than the others.

I think all bars can be flipped top to bottom since the bottom wears out first.

I flip all mine every time a chain is changed.

Flipping likely helps the moving parts at the tip of the bar, too. If I invariably have to replace a bar, it's because those moving parts decide they no longer want to move normally.
    --

Thanks everyone for the help.

I was confused on what the number were all about.
    I could find 14 in chain, correct width but different number links.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Amazon has them, even. search for .043 gauge, 50 links chainsaw chain. The Stihl brand is probably double what some cheaper ones cost, but you know it will work.

The only particular model of chain that lasts as long as the Stihl, that I have found, is Oregon 72 EXL. I run it on my larger saws, because they're hot rodded, and I run a larger sprocket than stock, so the stock loops don't fit anyway. I'm not sure that it comes in .043 gauge though.

Even those little chains come with different shapes of cutters. I just buy the Stihl chain for my 180. Mine is on its third chain, and the saw seems to be running stronger than ever.

Most chainsaw chains are primarily for crosscutting, but you can also get ripping chains.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 06-24-2021 at 8:57 AM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Blog Entries
    I go to Lowes and Home Depot, check their stock and likely go home with a new toy ere, tool.

I like to pick it up and see how it feels in my hand. Why don't you check this link.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=m...G0&p=chain+saw

He has a nice existing Stihl chainsaw and is s looking for replacement chain, Lowell.
    --

Why not just have the chain sharpened. There is a lot of life left in those cutters.