Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building "The Chair" inspired by Hans Wegner, Jeremy Broun and Derek Cohen

Building "The Chair" inspired by Hans Wegner, Jeremy Broun and Derek Cohen

I love being in my shop and building things. My architect daughter and son-in law got me back into woodworking a number of years ago after a hiatus due to my career.

Started back building some chairs of my own design and eventually some Maloof inspired rockers and dining chairs, then a butterfly table. Then Hans Wegner's "The Chair" was brought to my attention and requested I build 6 of them for my daughter's new architecture office. I was hooked. But the more closely I researched, the more complicated and tangled the construction seemed. So I decided to try and build a prototype using hard Maple cutoffs and scrap from Maloof chair and dining room table cut-offs. I powered through it and came up with this Wegner inspired chair - photos attached.

I'll post more on the construction process and finished piece if anyone is interested.

I took a lot of inspiration and measurements from Derek Cohen's posts on this topic. He constructed a beautiful copy a few years ago. The only other hand built Wegner chair I could find mention/information on was Jeremy Broun's piece. In general these chairs are manufactured by CNC machinery in Denmark, where they originated in 1949 designed by Hans Wegner, built from "Navy" Oak trees planted there centuries ago. Alsop famous for the photos of the first USA televised presidential debate between Nixon and Kennedy!

Now starting a run of 6 chairs in White Oak. My copy is constructed quite different than Derek Cohen's and Jeremy Broun's.

Regards,

Scott Oxenhandler
    Hollywood, Florida
    Attached Images Attached Images

You're doing some fine work there, Scott!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is a complex piece. But it looks great.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Very elegant. Please keep in touch on your progress.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

True. But every problem has a solution! Thinking about how to approach each problem is what takes a lot of time. This prototype will allow me to build the set of 6 with templates and jigs created with the first chair.

Thank you! I'm getting ready to build 6 more in white oak. See pics. Building the prototype shown here was very critical to the process.

Nice looking work Scott!
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Thank you!

Beautifully done Scott.
    A wannabe woodworker!

Thanks! Gonna post pictures every now and then of the build for 6 of these chairs.

Great looking chair and will look forward to seeing progress on the others.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Really cool chair. Nice work!

Thank you so much. I will be posting more pictures as the six chair in White oak build progresses.

Really nicely done. Look forward to seeing the white oak versions.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry