Thread: Sliding screen doors for patio door openings

Sliding screen doors for patio door openings

There are online companies that sell kits for building sliding screen doors - the kind that go over the big openings that are used for sliding glass doors. Is it practical to build such a sliding screen door from off-the-shelf materials? Or do they require a lot of custom parts?

If they are kits, then most likely the needed parts are included, or are available. Biggest thing to me would be matching the profile of the bottom track, where the rollers run.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    If they are kits, then most likely the needed parts are included, or are available. Biggest thing to me would be matching the profile of the bottom track, where the rollers run.
    Hopefully the track is made to accommodate a screen.

Then you would have to determine if the kit will make a door stout enough to not fall apart after being used a few times.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My local Orange Borg has completely eliminated the pre-built screen doors in favour of the kits - at a 40% cost upgrade of course.
    I may have no option.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.