Thread: Can someone help me with this router table fence?

Can someone help me with this router table fence?

My dad passed away nearly 1 year ago, and he left behind a helluva lot of old tools, some really large things that our cousin had been storing for him. Radial arm saw, a massive table saw, band saw, etc. Most of that stuff I have no use for (or room for) and my brother will most likely be coming back to either collect them or dispose of them. One thing I did take though, was a router table (top) and fence. There was a cabinet as well, but this stuff was stored in a huge farming shed and the mice made homes in the drawers, and I had no desire to bring that thing anywhere near my shed LOL. So I took the top, and the fence.

Now, I am just starting to play around with a few things, I actually have a trim router and the Rockler trim router table - and I have used it and I like it. It's great for small stuff, which honestly is all I have messed with so far.
    But I though I would like to have something of my dad's to use, and so I figured a full-sized router and table might be worthwhile. So I got it home, cleaned it up, and I am trying to figure out the fence. The top of it says "Woodhaven" on it so I am assuming that he bought it from them - probably from a catalog knowing my dad.

I figured out how to get the fence on the table, but it seems there are a couple of pieces missing. One of the end pieces ( I guess it's a clamping mechanism to hold the fence onto the table) is missing the little black tightener pieces, both top and bottom. Also, was wondering exactly what those pieces are called and what the little button is for. Can anyone help? Is there somewhere you can buy these parts? Or is there something else I can use?

Also, that big long rod with the "twister" cap on it, I found that it fits in that hole in the router table, and it appears to tighten/loosen something, I guess on the router? But I didn't want to try it to much before I know what the heck it does. So, any thoughts there?

I have attached pics, I sure hope someone can make sense of what I am asking. I appreciate your time on this!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chess Baloo; 06-20-2021 at 8:37 PM.

The « rod » on photo #6 should be for raising / lowering the router (there should be a « lift » underneat the router table).

The item in photo 4 is called a clamping knob or clamping handle or adjustable handle or ratchet lever handle. The button allows you to reposition the handle without turning the threaded stud. It's used when the handle is close to something (like a router fence) that would prevent spinning the handle 360 degrees. Rockler sells them:

https://www.rockler.com/ratchet-leve...shop-jigs-bolt

You have to get the correct diameter stud to match whatever it is tightening. Also, not all of them have buttons. On some of them, you just lift up on the handle to release it so it can be turned freely.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
    The « rod » on photo #6 should be for raising / lowering the router (there should be a « lift » underneat the router table).

Hmm. Well the top was not connected to the cabinet, we literally just picked it up and put it in the truck.
    Here are a couple of pics of the underside, and the router itself. I will see if I can get a better picture of the rod and where it is hitting under the table top.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    The item in photo 4 is called a clamping knob or clamping handle or adjustable handle or ratchet lever handle. The button allows you to reposition the handle without turning the threaded stud. It's used when the handle is close to something (like a router fence) that would prevent spinning the handle 360 degrees. Rockler sells them:

https://www.rockler.com/ratchet-leve...shop-jigs-bolt

You have to get the correct diameter stud to match whatever it is tightening. Also, not all of them have buttons. On some of them, you just lift up on the handle to release it so it can be turned freely.

Thanks. I can't change the diameter of the stud as that aluminum piece is threaded. I should be able to measure the stud diameter and get a replacement lever though, right? I mean it must be a fairly common size for that sort of thing.

I emailed Woodhaven, and the fence IS theirs, but the table is not. They said that the levers only go on the top - none on the bottom. And yup - that works WAY better LOL.
    (Don't know why these images are posting sideways - they are upright in my files.)
    Last edited by Chess Baloo; 06-21-2021 at 10:52 AM.

If you want an idea of how it should all look together - there's one for sale near me.
    It's on Craig's list - so - I pmed you the link since they frown on putting CL links here in the General forum.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    If you want an idea of how it should all look together - there's one for sale near me.
    It's on Craig's list - so - I pmed you the link since they frown on putting CL links here in the General forum.

Thanks very much.

I noticed there is a crack in the dust port - can superglue that together?
    I wish I could find a manual for this thing - there are so many parts that I have no idea what they do. I think this much more fence than I would ever need, but I would like to understand it all at least.
    Last edited by Chess Baloo; 06-21-2021 at 5:30 PM.