Thread: decent 15" chop saw blade

decent 15" chop saw blade

I bought a used 15 inch Hitachi chop saw with a well used blade. standard one inch arbor so I can use my 14" table saw blade on it for good work. Any recommendations for a decent blade for cuts in 2x material. My tablesaw blades are really a bit too good to waste on that kind of work.
    I will try to sharpen the blade that is on there but I am not terribly hopeful. lots of teeth and a small file mean lots of strokes.
    Bill D

Here's a reasonably priced 80 tooth atb carbide blade https://www.sliversmill.com/product_...e__1_Hole.html

I'm not sure your 14" blades will work on this saw- you will have to experiment.

If the existing blade is worth sharpening, why not send it to a saw shop?

Unless it's thrashed that saw will perform well with a decent blade on it.

I wouldn’t use that saw for framing lumber or rough work. Those 15” Hitachi’s and Makita’s are super useful and with a little cleaning, elbow grease and some time spent tuning the saw you could have a very nice miter saw setup. I would build it into a stand with extension wings. Something like a Fast Cap best fence or an Original Saw Company miter saw stand with 8ft extensions or a JA Dawley Quick Silver stand with a fence and stop block would be sweet. Those saws are very well built and very accurate once tuned. I would go with a 15” Forest Chop Master and relegate your old miter saw to rough cuts or framing lumber. It would be a shame to waist that big Hitachi on such.

I thought it was worth the $50 even with a poor blade. No longer a saw shop in town.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I thought it was worth the $50 even with a poor blade. No longer a saw shop in town.
    Bill D
    Doesn't the mail man still stop at your house? Even with two sharpeners in our county, both of which are a two hour trip each way, I mail my blades to Dynamic in Bufallo

I suspect a 14" blade may not be large enough in diameter for the saw teeth to actually meet the mitre fence on a C15. You might try looking around for an NOS Hitachi brand 15" replacement blade, quality used to be quite good for the price.