Thread: Getting started building extension wing for upcut saw. Help needed

Getting started building extension wing for upcut saw. Help needed

I made a thread the other day about what would be the best design for an outfeed extension wing for my upcut saw. I thought about several design suggestions and ultimately decided to go with 80/20 style aluminum extrusions.

The wing will be 32” tall x 8ft long x around 12” deep with a 3/4” black melamine top. My saw is a right hand cut model. So the left side of the extension wing will attach to a piece of angle mounted to the saw and the right side of the extension will have two legs with two bracing rails to hold them straight with leveling feet at the bottom. The length of the wing will have two 97” long rails that run the entire length with around 5 or 6 stretchers in the center that will hold the rails parallel to each other and provide ridgity and support. I have a few concerns and questions that I would like to get some feedback on before I actually start ordering materials. Any help or advice you guys can provide would be very appreciated.

First, what size of extrusions would you guys use? I can’t decide between the 2020 series which is 2” x 2” versus the 2040 series which is 2” x 4”. I am leaning towards the 2”x4” 2040 series but I am open to suggestions.

Second, assuming I go with the 2”x4” 2040 series does anyone know what leveling feet would work with them and could you provide a link because I am having trouble finding leveling feet for the 2040 series.

Third, what would be the best way to secure the 3/4” melamine top to the wing itself once it is built? Seems like I remember seeing clips for this type of thing but can’t find any with a Google search. The top needs to be secured perfectly flat. Any links or suggestions there?

Blog Entries
    I would go with the larger of the two and choose a setup in which you can use a smooth flat aluminum surface for the top, eliminating the need for melamine. You can usually find extrusions with one or two flat sides (without t slots)

Many times in this type of construction I will bore access holes so that I can install button head machine screws with an Allen wrench.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I would go with the larger of the two and choose a setup in which you can use a smooth flat aluminum surface for the top, eliminating the need for melamine. You can usually find extrusions with one or two flat sides (without t slots)

Many times in this type of construction I will bore access holes so that I can install button head machine screws with an Allen wrench.
    What kind of flat aluminum would you suggest? How would you suggest I cut and attach it? Even if I bore holes in the aluminum sheet goods I would have to tap the holes right?

Blog Entries
    I’d use something like this for the tops on the outsides, and one with three slots in the center.

Aluminum Extrusions, Double Corner Three Slot Rail, 80 mm High x 40 mm Wide

https://www.mcmaster.com/6812N14

Under it I would run heavy gauge (referred to as solid) with access holes bored for mounting on the two outer rails. Join them to the middle rail with cross braces.

No flat plate, no surface attached, mounting them together they become a surface.

Joining the extrusions will help to keep everything flat.

Attach legs in a manner where they are sturdy, tap the ends for threaded feet.

Blog Entries
    606DAAD9-814F-4AD3-958E-4B2C48A457F5.jpg D7CC54EB-2FB2-4CAF-B334-AFC097AC697D.jpg

This is how I did it, this is pretty rigid. Wouldn’t take much to build it stronger still.

Ive attached at the wall and floor also and that helps to make things stronger still. The head on the Omga is really heavy so it takes a very rigid structure to keep from walking or working out of adjustment over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I’d use something like this for the tops on the outsides, and one with three slots in the center.

Aluminum Extrusions, Double Corner Three Slot Rail, 80 mm High x 40 mm Wide

https://www.mcmaster.com/6812N14

Under it I would run heavy gauge (referred to as solid) with access holes bored for mounting on the two outer rails. Join them to the middle rail with cross braces.

No flat plate, no surface attached, mounting them together they become a surface.

Joining the extrusions will help to keep everything flat.

Attach legs in a manner where they are sturdy, tap the ends for threaded feet.
    What are you referring to as heavy gauge? Are you talking about using a plate of steel attached to the bottom? I am struggling to get a mental picture of what you are describing. Sorry about that.

Blog Entries
    Referring to the extrusions, some are more heavily made then others.