Thread: Restoring a Draw Knife

Restoring a Draw Knife

Some time back, I got a draw knife that was in really poor condition. The main reason I got it was so that I could replace the handles. I was just interested in what was involved in doing handle replacement on a draw knife.

I finally got around to making new handles for the tool. It was not as simple as making a handle for a chisel. The major problem is that the handle has to be just the right length. And since there's two of them, they need to look reasonably alike.

I made four "trial" handles before I made the final two from teak that I had around the shop. It was worth it to make the "trial" handles because I wasn't satisfied with the handle until the fourth one.

Here's the drawknife as found. Lots of rust and someone had beat on the draw knife, perhaps to use it like a froe. I soaked it in Evaporust but then had to use a deburring wheel on it to really remove the rust.
    Drawknife-02.jpg

And here's the draw knife with the new handles. I haven't peened the ends yet nor sharpened the blade.
    Drawknife-03.jpg

I like the way the new handles look, but restoring a draw knife in this condition is definitely not worth it. Draw knives in good condition are readily available on eBay. This one took a lot of work to remove the rust and to make the new handles. If I was to sell it on EBay, I probably get about $0.25/hour for the work I put into it And I still need to sharpen it.

I took pictures as I was doing one of the handles and I'll try to do a tutorial on my web site describing how to make new handles for a draw knife.

Mike

[These are the four "trial" handles I turned before I turned the teak handles. They're in order from left to right - the last one has some finish on it. Even the last one wasn't quite what I wanted but I could make the changes on the teak. I'm not a very good turner. I only do it occasionally and usually for things associated with some other project.]
    Drawknife-04.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-20-2021 at 3:34 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Well Mike, even though not "worth it," the end result looks great!
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Blog Entries
    Nice job. Sometimes the task is more satisfying than the end result.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hey Mike, looks like you are off to the races. I bought several (at least three) draw knives here a few months ago, setting up to take on chairbuilding this fall. You have entered a rabbit hole.

You are going to want some green wood, like cut a piece off a living tree, drive straight home and shape it. For me, intuitively, I prefer to use a drawknife bevel down, but there are times, places, situations, where bevel up is the better tool for the job. Pete Galbert, Curtis Buchanan and Elia Bizzarri all have adequate internet presence for you to figure out which will be the easier profile to create on the tool you have. Once you know, keep an eye open for its working bevel up/down partner so you are fully equipped.

In green hardwood a draw knife is a tool of joy. In KD hardwood I prefer to get as close as I can with a bandsaw and go straight to spokeshaves.

Nice handles. Good luck and best wishes.

I did a tutorial on how I replaced the handles - and on lessons learned. You can see it here.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nice work, Mike. Handles look great. I suspect on some of my projects I’d be lucky to get 25 cents an hour. But, that’s not why we do it. You’ll appreciate the effort every time you use it.

Mike, it looks real nice. Sometimes I do things not for the time/value, but just because. I think it was probably well worth it. Thanks for sharing.