Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Side-Clamping Honing Guide?

Veritas Side-Clamping Honing Guide?

I dont know how long this tool has been available, but I've only just seen it. LINK I searched the archives and didnt find any posts.

Has anyone bought one, or tried one in an LV store? For $40 US, Im tempted to try it. (Not that I NEED another piece of sharpening gear, you understand.)

Best regards,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Sorry, not much help. I bought one when I first heard about it here, but I haven't even taken it out of the box. I didn't really "need" it either, but didn't have one.......

Hi Fred

This was the subject if much discussion several weeks ago ... along with a second guide from Veritas for small blades. I posted a large number of photos. Do another search. They are there.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek. I must have missed that one.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Yes, I bought one and find it to be well worth the price. I nostly use it for plane irons.

Here is the link from a Google search, since I couldn’t get the SMC search function to find it with “veritas” or “side clamp”.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....g-Honing-Guide.

Thanks Curt. Thanks Jon. I appreciate the help.
    Fred

Thank you, Jon. I thought it was just me.
    Chuck Taylor

I just wanted to say.... I always appreciate the links, thanks. Sometimes I cannot find them; and sometimes I can. So always appreciated.

I too have been mystified by the search function on smc-I often can find threads that I’ve started when jay the the thread title...!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I wonder what the LV guide can do with this:
    Fat Max Chisel Abomination.jpg
    This thing appears designed to defy, even punish any attempt at sharpening.
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Punish any attempt at sharpening, indeed; it looks like the inbred offspring of a steak knife, a chisel, and a froe. I've never seen anything like it.

What should we (nick)name it?

I wonder: is it actually worse than the chisel rasp?

Yeah, that's a beast. I found it online and they call it a side strike chisel. There are several references to using it for demolition. Another blurb says you can use it like a spokeshave. Anyway you use it, I agree it's going to be a beast to sharpen. Here's a short Stanley promo video I found. LINK

Edit: The vid says the serated edge is for cutting banding on materials. (Shrug)
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-23-2021 at 7:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Yeah, that's a beast. I found it online and they call it a side strike chisel. There are several references to using it for demolition. Another blurb says you can use it like a spokeshave. Anyway you use it, I agree it's going to be a beast to sharpen. Here's a short Stanley promo video I found. LINK

Edit: The vid says the serated edge is for cutting banding on materials. (Shrug)
    It's a solution looking for a problem.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    The problem with SMC's search function has a flaw that may not be fixable in software.

When using the SMC search function the search term looks like this with some of the results below:

Demo Search 1.png

To improve the results, highlight > www. < in the search term:

Demo Search 2.png

Do not forget to include the period (or dot) when deleting www. from the search term.

Press delete and the press enter/return for results like this:

Demo Search 3.jpg

Why this can not be fixed in the software is beyond me. It may actually be fixable in the BBS software to remove the > www. <, but not by me.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Fred
    This was the subject if much discussion several weeks ago ... along with a second guide from Veritas for small blades. I posted a large number of photos. Do another search. They are there.
    Regards from Perth
    Derek
    Thanks Derek. I must have missed that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    Here is the link from a Google search, since I couldn’t get the SMC search function to find it with “veritas” or “side clamp”.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....g-Honing-Guide.
    Thanks Curt. Thanks Jon. I appreciate the help.
    Fred
    Thank you, Jon. I thought it was just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I just wanted to say.... I always appreciate the links, thanks. Sometimes I cannot find them; and sometimes I can. So always appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I too have been mystified by the search function on smc-I often can find threads that I’ve started when jay the the thread title...!
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-24-2021 at 2:59 PM. Reason: add and the press enter/return
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)